= 2001 = 2002 = 2003 = 2004 = 2006 = 2007 = 2008 = 2009 = 2010 = 2011= 2012 = 2014 = 2015 = 2016 = 2017 = 2018 = 2019 = 2020 =

Round One - Conference Quarterfinals

Western Conference

#1 Colorado Avalanche vs. #8 Vancouver Canucks

Vancouver just couldn't get much going and was overwhelmed by Colorado's superior offense, defense, and goaltending. Except for the last game they kept it close, though.

GAME ONE: VANCOUVER 4 at COLORADO 5 -April 12
Joe Sakic and Chris Drury scored two goals each and Rob Blake had a goal and three assists as the Avalanche win a shoot out, beating the Canuckleheads in Game One. Mattias Ohlund, Trent Klatt, Todd Bertuzzi and Ed Jovanovski scored for Vancouver.

GAME TWO: VANCOUVER 1 at COLORADO 2 -April 14
Ville Nieminen and Milan Hejduk scored twice 42 seconds apart in the third to erase a 1-0 Vancouver lead and win the game and take a 2-0 series lead. Morrison had the Vancouver goal, a power play tally in the second.

GAME THREE: COLORADO 4 at VANCOUVER 3 (OT)-April 16
2:50 into the extra period Peter Forsberg won the game for his Avalanche to take a commanding 3-0 series lead. Joe Sakic, Chris Drury and Adam Foote also scored for the Avs and Trent Klatt, Todd Bertuzzi and Daniel Sedin tallied for the 'Nucks.

GAME FOUR: COLORADO 5 at VANCOUVER 1 -April 18
It was another close one...until 9:11 of the third period, that is. Peter Forsberg, Joe Sakic and Eric Messier scored 38 seconds apart to finally dominate the Nuckleheads and send them packing. Drury's power play goal in the second had the Avs up 1-0 and Tanguay had the empty-netter. After those three quick goals by the Avs, Vancouver's Klatt answered with a power play tally.

Avalanche win series 4 games to 0.

#2 Detroit Red Wings vs. #7 Los Angeles Kings

After the first few games it looked like the Wings were motoring to the Conference finals - or further - again. But the Kings, revenge-minded after their sweep at the hands of the Wings the previous season, had a slightly different outcome in mind.

GAME ONE: LOS ANGELES 3 at DETROIT 5 -April 11
Brendan Shanahan scored twice along Tomas Holmstrom, Sergei Fedorov and Igor Larionov as the Wings win Game One. Steve Yzerman left the ice in the first with a sore leg. Kelly Buchberger, Ziggy Palffy and Luc Robitaille tallied for the Kings.

GAME TWO: LOS ANGELES 0 at DETROIT 4 -April 14
Chris Osgood stopped all 20 LA shots as Detroit cruises to a Game Two win and 2-0 series lead. Wings went 3-for-6 on the power play and LA couldn't even convert on several two-man-advantages and a whole five minute power play from a boarding major handed to Jiri Fischer. Vyacheslav Kozlov scored twice, Sergei Fedorov had a goal and an assist and the other Wings goal belonged to Steve Duchesne

GAME THREE: DETROIT 1 at LOS ANGELES 2 -April 15
LA's Jozef Stumpel snapped a third period tie, Felix Potvin made 22 saves and they win Game Three, ending a 14-game playoff losing streak. Luc Robitaille scored first and Detroit's Lidstrom answered, both in the second.

GAME FOUR: DETROIT 3 at LOS ANGELES 4 (OT)-April 18
Detroit built a 3-0 lead on power play goals by Verbeek, Duchesne, and Koslov, but with six minutes and change to go in the third LA amazingly rallied to tie it on goals by Tomas, Stumpel, and Smolinski - Mathieu Schneider assisting on all three. And then 2:36 into overtime Eric Belanger scored to cap the amazing comeback and tie up the series.

GAME FIVE: LOS ANGELES 3 at DETROIT 2 -April 21
Ziggy Palffy had a goal and an assist, and along with Ian Laperriere and Adam Deadmarsh's goals the Kings win it to take a lead in the series. Detroit got goals from Kozlov and Chelios in the third.

GAME SIX: DETROIT 2 at LOS ANGELES 3 (OT)-April 23
4:48 into overtime Adam Deadmarsh scored his second of the game to send the stunned Detroit Red Wings packing and his Kings team into Round Two. This was Detroit's first first-round exit since they were upset by the Sharks in 1994. It was the first series win for the Kings since 1993. The other Kings goal belonged to Stumpel and Detroit went up 2-1 in the second on goals by Pat Verbeek and Darren Mccarty.

Kings win series 4 games to 2.

#3 Dallas Stars vs. #6 Edmonton Oilers

Would Edmonton again be eliminated by the Stars, again be disappointed by an early playoff exit and sent home pissed off at the Lone Star State? Yes.

GAME ONE: EDMONTON 1 at DALLAS 2 (OT)-April 11
Jamie Langenbrunner scored 2:18 into overtime and the Stars take Game One. Mike Modano also scored for the Stars, extending Edmonton's 13 game losing streak at Reunion Arena. Ryan Smyth scored for the Oilers.

GAME TWO: EDMONTON 4 at DALLAS 3 -April 14
Dan Cleary, Rem Murray and Anson Carter all scored power play goals as the Oilers even up the series. Laraque also tallied for the Oilers and the Stars goals came from Joe Niewendyk, Daryl Sydor, and Mike Keane.

GAME THREE: DALLAS 3 at EDMONTON 2 (OT)-April 15
With 12 seconds left in the first overtime Benoit Hogue scores and gives his Dallas team a win and the series lead again. The Stars had 2-0 lead on goals by Sergei Zubov and Mike Modano but Edmonton answered in the final 63 seconds of regulation as Ryan Smith and Rem Murray scored.

GAME FOUR: DALLAS 1 at EDMONTON 2 (OT)-April 17
Mike Comrie and the Oilers tie the series up again with 2:41 left in overtime. Anson Carter gave Edmonton a 1-0 lead but Dallas tied it on a tally by Mike Keane.

GAME FIVE: EDMONTON 3 at DALLAS 4 (OT)-April 19
In yet another overtime tilt, Kirk Muller scored 8:01 into the extra period to give the Stars a 3-2 series lead. Jere Lehtinen and Jamie Langenbrunner got the Stars up 2-0, then Anson Carter, captain Doug Weight and Eric Brewer tied it and went ahead in a 2:57 span early in the third. John MacLean was the Star who sent it to overtime.

GAME SIX: DALLAS 3 at EDMONTON 1 -April 21
Joe Nieuwendyk's knee got better and he returned in a big way, scoring the game-winning and series-winning goal with 2:32 left in the third. 4:44 into the game Ryan Smith gave the Oilers a 1-0 lead, but Brett Hull tied it. Mike Madono scored an empty-netter near the end.

Stars win series 4 games to 2.

#4 St. Louis Blues vs. #5 San Jose Sharks

After the President's Trophy-winning, #1 seeded Blues were knocked off by an overachieving agreesive eighth-seeded Sharks team in the 2000 playoffs, you'd better believe in 2001 revenge was in the Blues' minds. And they got it.

GAME ONE: SAN JOSE 1 at ST. LOUIS 3 -April 12
Pierre Turgeon had a goal and an assist as the Blues cruise to a 3-1 Game One win. Roman Turek stopped 21 shots, shaking off the inconsistency that had plagued him during the regular season. Scott Young and Al MacInnis also scored for the Blues and Patrick Marleau tallied for the Sharks in the third.

GAME TWO: SAN JOSE 1 at ST. LOUIS 0 -April 14
Scott Thornton scored for the Sharks in the second and that's all they needed to win Game Two and even up the series. Eveni Nabokov stopped all 28 shots he faced for his first-ever playoff shutout.

GAME THREE: ST. LOUIS 6 at SAN JOSE 3 -April 16
2000 will not be repeated! So sayeth the Blues with their convincing 6-3 rout in San Jose to regain the lead in the series. Dallas Drake scored twice, Young recorded three assists, Turgeon had a power play goal and two helpers and Scott Mellanby, Jochen Hecht and Cory Stillman each also tallied for the Blues. Nabokov is run off the ice, replaced with backup Miikka Kiprusoff. Thornton, Damphousse and Granato tallied for the Sharkies.

GAME FOUR: ST. LOUIS 2 at SAN JOSE 3 -April 17
The start is given to Kiprusoff this time and it pays dividends for the Sharks. He stopped 39 shots to help lift his team to a Game Four win and the series is evened up again. Nabokov came down with the "flu" (right!) and was replaced at the last minute. Vincent Damphousse, Scott Thornton and Owen Nolan tallied in the first 13 minutes of the second. Blues scored first on a Keith Tkachuk power play goal and Dallas Drake scored in the final minute of the game. Tkachuk was a trade deadline pickup for the Blues that spring.

GAME FIVE: SAN JOSE 2 at ST. LOUIS 3 (OT)- April 19
Rookie defenseman Bryce Salvador scored at 9:54 of overtime to end a very exciting Game Five with a 3-2 win on home ice for his Blues team. Blues were down 2-1 but with only 2:48 left in regulation Dallas Drake scored to tie it up on a great play set up by Turgeon. Stephane Matteau and Patrick Marleau scored for the Sharks. The other Blues goal belonged to Scott Young in the first.

GAME SIX: ST. LOUIS 2 at SAN JOSE 1 -April 21
Roman Turek made 30 saves, Cory Stillman and Pavol Demitra (on a breakway) scored in a 52-second span in the second, and a 2-1 Game Six win gets the Blues to Round Two and sends the Sharks to clean out their lockers. Brad Stuart pulled the Sharks within one with 7 minutes and change left in the third. Turek (and a few other Blues skaters) stopped a flurry of desperation shots in the final seconds, but at the final buzzer captain Chris Pronger fell onto Turek hugging him, congratulating him on exorcising the 2000 playoff demon.

Blues win series 4 games to 2.

Eastern Conference

#1 New Jersey Devils vs. #8 Carolina Hurricanes

A clearly superior Cup champion Devils team shot out to a 3-0 series lead but almost let the underdog 'Canes come back to tie it.

GAME ONE: CAROLINA 1 at NEW JERSEY 5 -April 12
Bobby Holik scored twice and Patrik Elias had a goal and two assists as the Devils rout the Hurricanes in Game One. Sergei Brylin and Petr Sykora also scored for the defending Stanley Cup champs. Josef Vasicek finished the goal scoring in the third for the canned 'Canes.

GAME TWO: CAROLINA 0 at NEW JERSEY 2 -April 15
Martin Brodeur only had to stop 18 shots to lift the Devils to a Game Two win and 2-0 series lead. Alexander Mogilny and defenseman Sean O'Donnell scored for Jersey.

GAME THREE: NEW JERSEY 4 at CAROLINA 0 -April 17
In another demoralizing shutout by New Jersey, Carolina finds itself staring at the dreaded 0-3 series trailing. Brodeur records his second straight shutout and Holik, Gomez, McKay, and Rafalksi scores for the Devils. Scott Stevens, who sent Shawn Willis to hospital with a concussion in Game Two, knocked Hurricanes captain Ron Francis out of the game in the first period with a thundering blow.

GAME FOUR: NEW JERSEY 2 at CAROLINA 3 -April 18
Rod Brind'Amour scored 46 seconds into overtime to keep his Carolina team alive! With both Francis and Willis out with concussions, the 'Canes live to see another day on that overtime goal and power play tallies by Sami Kapanen and David Tanabe. Arnott (power play) and Skyora (shorthanded) scored for the Devils.

GAME FIVE: CAROLINA 3 at NEW JERSEY 2 -April 20
Carolina does it again with goals by Josef Vasicek and Sami Kapanen and the game-winner by Jeff O'Neill in the third. Gomez and Bobby Holik scored for New Jersey. Arturs Irbe made many spectacular saves to help keep the 'Canes alive.

GAME SIX: NEW JERSEY 5 at CAROLINA 1 -April 22
Randy McKay scored two goals as New Jersey ends Carolina's comeback bid with a convincing 5-1 rout. Patrik Elias, Sergei Brylin and Alexander Mogilny also scored for the Devils as they send the 'Canes packing. Tanabe scored a power play goal for Carolina in the second.

Devils win series 4 games to 2.

#2 Ottawa Senators vs. #7 Toronto Maple Leafs

With the seeding favoring the #2 Senators, it looked like they'd get their revenge from their playoff ousting at the hands of the Leafs last year. But, they say the playoffs are a whole different season for a good reason sometimes...

GAME ONE: TORONTO 1 at OTTAWA 0 (OT)-April 13
It was bad luck for Ottawa this Friday the 13th. At 10:49 of overtime Mats Sundin cranked a long shot just inside the blue line past Patrick Lalime, giving the Leafs the win, a 1-0 series lead, and home ice advantage.

GAME TWO: TORONTO 3 at OTTAWA 0 -April 14
For his second shutout in 24 hours Curtis Joseph keeps the Sens scoreless again and gives his team an unlikely 2-0 series lead. Berezin scored first and Gary Roberts followed that up by goals in the second and third periods.

GAME THREE: OTTAWA 2 at TORONTO 3 (OT)-April 16
After two more scorless periods, bringing the total to eight, finally Ottawa scores...twice in the final three minutes to tie it up and force overtime. But Cory Cross scored 2:16 into that extra period to give Toronto a commanding 3-0 series lead. Mats Sundin and Nik Antropov also scored for the leafs and the aforementioned goals by the Sens were from Marian Hossa and Daniel Alfredsson.

GAME FOUR: OTTAWA 1 at TORONTO 3 -April 18
You aren't going to win a lot of playoff series only scoring three goals, as the Senators found out the hard way. After being nearly shut out again by Joseph, Ottawa is sent packing and Toronto is sent to Round Two. All in all, Joseph only allowed three goals on 123 shots, clearly the hero of the series. Yanic Perreault scored twice for Toronto in the first, tying it up and going ahead after Ottawa's Chris Phillips scored first. Mccabe added a tally in the second.

Maple Leafs win series 4 games to 0.

#3 Washington Capitals vs. #6 Pittsburgh Penguins

With Mario Lemieux playing in the post season for the first time since unretiring, Big Things were expected from him in this highly-anticipated first round series. Olaf Kolzig and the Caps weren't going to make the series an easy one for the Penguins, though.

GAME ONE: PITTSBURGH 0 at WASHINGTON 1 -April 12
Olaf Kolzig stopped all 16 shots he faced -- none from Lemieux -- and the Caps take Game One with a 1-0 win. Peter Bondra's power play goal 35 seconds into the second was the game-winner.

GAME TWO: PITTSBURGH 2 at WASHINGTON 1 -April 14
Mario Lemieux finally comes to life and, with a goal and an assist, help the Penguins even things up. He assisted on the first goal, by Kevin Stevens, and then scored the game-winner. Peter Bondra again was the Caps' scorer and again it was a power play tally. All the goals were in the first period.

GAME THREE: WASHINGTON 0 at PITTSBURGH 3 -April 16
The Penguins take a 2-1 series lead on a shutout by rookie goaltender Johan Hedburg, who stopped all 25 shots he faced in only his 12th NHL game. Kevin Stevens, Alexei Kovalev and Jan Hrdina scored for Pittsburgh.

GAME FOUR: WASHINGTON 4 at PITTSBURGH 3 (OT)-April 18
Jeff Halpern scored in overtime to down the Penguins 4-3 and even up the series. Steve Konowalchuk scored two power play goals and helped on Halpern's overtime tally. Washington's other goal was from Brendan Witt. Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr and Laukkanen scored for Pittsburgh.

GAME FIVE: PITTSBURGH 2 at WASHINGTON 1 -April 21
In almost a carbon copy of Game Two, Lemieux had a goal and an assist and the Penguins win 2-1, taking a 3-2 series lead. Andrew Ference gave Pittsburgh the 1-0 lead just 31 seconds before Lemieux's tally. Sergei Gonchar scored for the Caps in the second.

GAME SIX: WASHINGTON 3 at PITTSBURGH 4 (OT)-April 23
Martin Straka picked Gonchar's pocket and put a biscuit in the basket in overtime to lift the Penguins to a 4-3 game win and a 4-2 series win. For the second time in as many years Pittsburgh eliminates the Caps as well as the sixth time in the past seven. Lemieux got things going with a power play tally in the first, followed by a goal by Lang less than a minute later. Witt and Halpern tied it up in the second for the Caps, Kovalev got the Penguins up 3-2, and Johansson tied it up again in the third.

Penguins win series 4 games to 2.

#4 Philadelphia Flyers vs. #5 Buffalo Sabres

It was a close series of mostly one-goal games until a total blowout at the end. And it was the Flyers who blowed. Er...blew.

GAME ONE: BUFFALO 2 at PHILADELPHIA 1 -April 18
Sabres take Game One as Dominik Hasek stops 31 shots - including a Mark Recchi penalty shot in the first period - in a 2-1 victory. Chris Gratton and Doug Gilmour scored for the Sabres and Philly's lone goal belonged to Eric Desjardins.

GAME TWO: BUFFALO 4 at PHILADELPHIA 3 (OT)-April 20
Jay McKee (who?!) scores with 1:59 remaining in the extra period as the Sabres win 4-3 and take a 2-0 series lead. McKee, by the way, only scored once in the regular season. But the Flyers aren't much worried. In 2000 they lost the first two games at home then the next four against the Penguins in the second round. Langkow, Leclair, and Mark Recchi tallied for the Flyboys and the Sabres also got marks from Satan, Zhitnik, and Brown.

GAME THREE: PHILADELPHIA 3 at BUFFALO 2 -April 23
Philly avoided the perilous 0-3 series deficit with a 3-2 victory in Game Three, Andy Delmore tipping in the winning goal with five minutes left. Not bad for somebody who was a healthy scratch the first two games and didn't even know he was going to play until 90 minutes before the game. Kent Manderville and Simon Gagne also scored for Philly. Chris Gratton and Heinze scored power play goals for Buffalo.

GAME FOUR: PHILADELPHIA 3 at BUFFALO 4 (OT)-April 24
Dun dun dun! Philly, who had never overcome a 3-1 series deficit, loses as the Sabres win 4-3 in OT. Curtis Brown put it away 6:14 into the extra period. Buffalo, who squandered two one-goal leads before winning, also got tallies from Miroslav Satan, Donald Audette and Chris Gratton. Daymond Langkow, Simon Gagne and Dan McGillis tallied for the Flyers.

GAME FIVE: BUFFALO 3 at PHILADELPHIA 1 -April 26
Flyers stay alive in the first non-one-goal-game. Mark Recchi scored the game-winner and Roman Cechmanek made 25 saves to keep the season flying. Simon Gagne strikes yet again along with Chris Therien. Hasek got slapped with a 10-minute game misconduct after tossing his pad to the ice after Keith Primeau - who had two assists - collided with him.

"I didn't even try to make a save, because I know he's coming out at my knees," Hasek whined. "I was protecting myself. That's why I was so upset."

"That's asinine," Primeau replied. Well said!

GAME SIX: PHILADELPHIA 0 at BUFFALO 8 -April 28
It was all Buffalo as they send the Flyers crashing - no, not just crashing - burning, exploding, AND crashing to Earth. Cechmanek surrendered five goals on only nine shots before being yanked in favor of Brian Boucher in Philly's worst-ever playoff loss. Gratton, Gilmour (power play), Audette, Andreychuk, Jean-Pierre Dumont, Heinze, Dumont again, and Gratton again were responsible for this astonishing rout. Hasek made 24 saves for the shutout.

Sabres win series 4 games to 2.


Round Two - Conference Semifinals

Western Conference

#1 Colorado Avalanche vs. #7 Los Angeles Kings

The Kings, riding a high from their unlikely defeat of the Red Wings, took the Avalanche to task, even after trailing the series 3 games to 1, even shutting down Colorado's potent offense for two of the games.

GAME ONE: LOS ANGELES 4 at COLORADO 3 (OT)-April 26
Jaroslav Modry put a biscuit in the basket at 14:23 of overtime to give the Kings the opening game of the series. Colorado dominated the second and third periods, but Felix Potvin kept his team in the game. LA's Glen Murray tallied twice and Nelson Emerson also scored. Chris Drury, Rob Blake, and Peter Forseberg scored for the 'Lanche.

GAME TWO: LOS ANGELES 0 at COLORADO 2 -April 28
Patrick Roy stopped all 20 LA shots he faced for his 16th career playoff shutout; Ville Nieminen and Joe Sakic got the goals.

GAME THREE: COLORADO 4 at LOS ANGELES 3 -April 30
Milan Hedjuk had a goal and two assists as Colorado wins 4-3 and takes a 2-1 series lead. Botched officiating was the story of this game, including phantom calls and missed violations. The worst example was in the second where a linesman kicked the puck, giving Colorado a 2-on-1 and henceforth a goal from Peter Forseberg. Rob Blake and Klemm also scored for the Avs. LA got a power play goal from Robitaille in the first and got two in the third from Glen Murray and Ziggy Palffy where they also outshot Colorado 14-3.

GAME FOUR: COLORADO 3 at LOS ANGELES 0 -May 2
Roy stopped 21 shots for his 17th playoff shutout and Colorado takes a commanding 3-1 series lead. Tanguay, Hejduk, and Drury scored, all in the second.

GAME FIVE: LOS ANGELES 1 at COLORADO 0 -May 4
Felix Potvin shut down the Avalanche - making 20 saves for his sixth career playoff shutout - Luc Robitaille ended the scoreless tie at 10:05 of the third and the Kings stay alive.

GAME SIX: COLORADO 0 at LOS ANGELES 1 (2OT)-May 6
2:14 into the second overtime Glen Murray is the hero for the LA Kings in another 1-0 shutout, tying the series up and sending it to Game Seven. Felix the Cat stopped all 33 shots he faced for his second consecutive shutout.

GAME SEVEN: LOS ANGELES 1 at COLORADO 5 -May 9
It was all Avalanche in this deciding Game Seven. Kings tried to play it careful and conservatively, looking for their chances, keeping the game slow at first, Nelson Emmerson tying it up in the second after a first period goal by former King Rob Blake, but Colorado pounced on them and broke it open in the third with goals by Chris Drury, Ville Niemenen, and Shjon Podein. With over five minutes remaining Potvin was pulled and a few minutes later Hejduk capped it with an empty netter. The reign of the Kings ends and they go home packing and Colorado gets ready for Round Three.

Avalanche win series 4 games to 3.

#3 Dallas Stars vs. #4 St. Louis Blues

No matter how good or bad the Stars are and how good or bad the Blues are, the Dallas Stars have always had a bit of trouble beating the St. Louis Blues. They have suffered many routs at the hands of the Blues, even several times at home. Sure they eliminated St. Louis in 1999 but it was a close series. Their trouble with the Blues culminated in a big way in this semifinal round.

GAME ONE: ST. LOUIS 4 at DALLAS 2 -April 27
Rookie Marty Reasoner scored twice as the Blues beat the stumbling Stars 4-2 to take Game One. Pavol Demitra and Pierre Turgeon also scored for the Blues (Demitra's after a Dallas defenseman actually fell on his ass). Dallas' Mike Madano limped off the ice with an injured left leg in the second, signaling more trouble ahead. Maclean and Lukowich tallied for Dallas.

GAME TWO: ST. LOUIS 2 at DALLAS 1 -April 29
Reasoner strikes again, scoring only 1:25 into the game. Scott Young added a shorthanded tally later as the Blues take Game Two as well and head back home with a 2-0 series lead. Dallas ended Roman Turek's shutout bid as Joe Nieuwendyk, on an assist by Brett Hull, scored in the final minute.

GAME THREE: DALLAS 2 at ST. LOUIS 3 (OT)-May 1
Finally it looked like things were going Dallas' way. Mike Keane and former Blue Brett Hull stoked them to a 2-0 lead, Hull's goal the very first power play goal St. Louis had allowed in the playoffs so far. However, a goal by Jochen Hecht in the second and a first career playoff goal by defenseman Alexander Khavanov with only 2:15 remaining erased that deficit. Then, on a drop pass by Scott Young, Cory Stillman - barely onside - scored at 9:26 of the second overtime to give the Blues a 3-0 series lead and one win away from their first third round berth in 15 years.

GAME FOUR: DALLAS 1 at ST. LOUIS 4 -May 3
Roman Turek made 32 saves to help the Blues to a 4-1 victory and complete of their semifinal sweep of the Dallas Stars. For the first time since 1986 the Blues move to Round Three. No goals were scored in the first, but Khavanov and Keith Tkachuk (power play) tallied in the second. Also in that period Dallas' Joe Nieuwendyk made it a 2-1 game, but Chris Pronger scored an insurance tally in the third on a fumbling Eddie Belfour and Scott Young capped the wild night with an empty netter.

Blues win series 4 games to 0.

Eastern Conference

#1 New Jersey Devils vs. #7 Toronto Maple Leafs

A determined Maple Leafs team took the defending Stanley Cup champion New Jersey Devils to task in an offense-laden, physical, and entertaining semifinal series.

GAME ONE: TORONTO 2 at NEW JERSEY 0 -April 26
Toronto draws first blood in the series. Curtis Joseph stops all 29 shots he faces for his 12th career playoff shutout and Nik Antropov and Steve Thomas score to take Game One.

GAME TWO: TORONTO 5 at NEW JERSEY 6 (OT)-April 28
At 5:31 of overtime Bobby Holik caps a wild offensive night and New Jersey evens up the series. They squandered 4-1 and 5-2 leads before finally winning the game. Leafs' Markov scored first in the first, followed by four New Jersey goals in the second (Gomez, Rafalski, Mogilny, and John Madden). Mats Sundin scored a shorthanded goal in the third followed by a power play goal by Mogilny. Then the Leafs tied it up on two goals by Thomas with one by Sundin in between them.

GAME THREE: NEW JERSEY 3 at TORONTO 2 (OT)-May 1
Brian Rafalski's overtime goal gives New Jersey the 3-2 win and 2-1 series lead. It was a pass attempt that hit Cory Cross' skate, then bounced into the net. The goals that got 'em to overtime were Bobby Holik and Scott Gomez (NJ) and Valk and Thomas (Toronto).

GAME FOUR: NEW JERSEY 1 at TORONTO 3 -May 3
Shayne Corson, Sergei Berezin and Mats Sundin teamed up to give their Leafs a 3-1 victory and tie up the series. Patrick Elias scored a power play goal for New Jersey. Oh and Tie Domi elbowed Scott Niedermayer in the head with only 7.4 seconds left. Niedermayer left the ice on a stretcher but walked into the dressing room later.

GAME FIVE: TORONTO 3 at NEW JERSEY 2 -May 5
With 29.4 seconds left to play Tomas Kaberle scored the controversial game winner for Toronto. He did it after NJ defenseman Colin White knocked Toronto's Shayne Corson on top of Devils goalie Martin Brodeur and pushed him to the back of the net. Corson claims he was cross-checked into Brodeur. White says he embellished it.

Andy Van Hellemond, the NHL director of officiating, agreed with the non-call: "In releasing him, Corson's on one leg, goes over the goalie, and is going over the goalie at the same time the shot is taken and the puck goes into the net."

Bryan McCabe and Cory Cross also scored for the Leafs; Petr Sykora and Arnott scored for the Devils.

GAME SIX: NEW JERSEY 4 at TORONTO 2 -May 7
The Devils tie up the series on goals by Sykora, McKay, Rafalksi, and Arnott. The Leafs got power play goals from Steve Tomas and Mats Sundin.

GAME SEVEN: TORONTO 1 at NEW JERSEY 5 -May 9
Patrik Elias got two goals and Scott Stevens had a goal and an assist as New Jersey sends the Maple Leafs to clean out their lockers. The Devils advance to the Conference Finals, also on goals by Nemchinov and Scott Stevens. Toronto's Steve Tomas scored first, a power play goal at 9:06 of the first. Curtis Joseph continues his quest to never win a Stanley Cup.

Devils win series 4 games to 3.

#5 Buffalo Sabres vs. #6 Pittsburgh Penguins

It was a seven-game, hard-fought series, the potent offense of Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr vs. the stellar goaltending of Dominik Hasek.

GAME ONE: PITTSBURGH 3 at BUFFALO 0 -April 26
Johan Hedberg snuffed all 25 Buffalo shots as the Penguins cruise to a 3-0 Game One win. Super Mario scored the game-winner and Jan Hrdina and Keith Primeau notched insurance tallies.

GAME TWO: PITTSBURGH 3 at BUFFALO 1 -April 28
Even with Jagr out injured, Pittsburgh still wins and heads to home ice with a 2-0 series lead. Andrew Ference scored the go-ahead goal on a fluky shot. Robert Lang and Alexei Kovalev also scored for the Penguins. The Sabres finally get one goal from Stu Barnes, a power play tally in the second.

GAME THREE: BUFFALO 4 at PITTSBURGH 1 -April 30
The Sabres finally solve Hedberg and pounce the Pittsburgh Penguins, putting four pretty pucks between the pipes. Pittsburgh's Stevens scored first, but Buffalo tied it on a goal by Curtis Brown then went ahead on a tipped-in tally by Jason Wooley. James Patrick potted an empty-netter.

GAME FOUR: BUFFALO 5 at PITTSBURGH 2 -May 2
Stu Barnes scores twice as the Sabres take Game Two. With snazzy scoring and spectacular saves the series is even steven, with Hasek stopping Straka on a penalty shot. Dumont, Brown (shorthanded), and Tsyplakov also batted in biscuits for Buffalo and the Pittsburgh Penguins potted points from Straka and Laukkanen.

GAME FIVE: PITTSBURGH 2 at BUFFALO 3 (OT)-May 5
In 8:34 of overtime Stu Barnes completes a 3-goal comeback in the game and a 3-game comeback in the series. They take a 3-2 series lead that also features goals from Chris Gratton and Curtis Brown. Pittsburgh had went up 2-0 on goals by Jagr and Morozov. It's beginning to look a lot like the previous season where the Penguins won the first two on the road against the Flyers then lost the next four in a row.

GAME SIX: BUFFALO 2 at PITTSBURGH 3 (OT)-May 8
The powerful Pittsburgh Penguins prevail with impeccable play in overtime as Straka strikes the stupefied, sobbing Sabres, scoring at 11:29 of the extra period. Lemieux and Kovalev also scored for the Penguins. Afinogenov and Donald Audette tallied for Buffalo.

GAME SEVEN: PITTSBURGH 3 at BUFFALO 2 (OT)-May 10
Darius Kasparaitis scored his first goal of the playoffs at 13:01 of overtime to give his Penguins a 3-2 win and a 4-3 series win, overcoming a monstrous comeback by the Sabres and sending them packing. Kasparaitis, who scored only three times in the regular season, took a pass from Robert Lang and beat Dominik Hasek just inside the post. Buffalo's Jean-Pierre Dumont scored in the second, followed by a power play goal by Ference. Heinze put the Sabres up 2-1 in the third but Lang tied it up.

Penguins win series 4 games to 3.


Round Three - Conference Finals (Stanley Cup Semifinals)

Western Conference

#1 Colorado Avalanche vs. #4 St. Louis Blues

The Blues, who had been cruising through the first two rounds, suddenly were stopped dead in their tracks by an Avalanche. Most of the games were close, St. Louis battled hard but was plagued with constant brain farts from Roman Turek and the Avs just scored more.

GAME ONE: ST. LOUIS 1 at COLORADO 4 -May 12
Joe Sakic scored twice, the second goal the game-winner on a penalty shot after Roman Turek, amidst a flurry of activity in front of his net, decided it would be a good idea to make a save by throwing his stick. The Avs were without Peter Forseberg, who had had his spleen removed two weeks earlier. Milan Hejduk also scored twice for Colorado. Scott Young got the lone Blues goal - the only hilight of the day for Blues fans - an excellent shorthanded breakaway goal that had tied it at one.

GAME TWO: ST. LOUIS 2 at COLORADO 4 -May 14
The Avalanche take a 2-0 series lead on a great 28-save performance by Roy and goals by Ray Bourque, Adam Foote, Shjon Podein and Chris Drury. St. Louis got power play tallies from Scott Mellanby and Al Macinnis.

GAME THREE: COLORADO 3 at ST. LOUIS 4 (2OT)-May 16
Two Roman Tureks showed up for this game. After the Blues scored first, a power play goal by Khavanov, Bad Roman Turek allowed 3 goals on only 16 shots in regulation, one after trying to scoop the puck into his glove with his stick and Dan Hinote grabbed the puck and easily scored. Ray Bourque scored an other power play goal before that to tie it. Mellanby tied it up in the third, Messier put the Avs ahead again, and Jamal Mayers tied it up again, banging in a Chris Pronger shot between Roy's legs while not even looking at the net. Good Roman Turek then showed up for overtime, making several unbelievable saves. And Scott Young was the hero, scoring at 10:27 of double overtime to give the Blues the win and avoid the perilous 0-3 series trailing.

GAME FOUR: COLORADO 4 at ST. LOUIS 3 (OT)-May 18
In a 78 second span in the first, Colorado scored three goals on Bad Roman Turek (Reinprecht, Sakic, Bourque). But the Blues battled back with two second period goals (both Pierre Turgeon) and one on the third (Jamal Mayers). But Stephane Yelle put the Blues on the brink at 4:23 of overtime, scoring on a deflection. This was Turek's last game as a Blue.

GAME FIVE: ST. LOUIS 1 at COLORADO 2 (OT)-May 21
A tight game for once. Tired of Turek's antics, the Blues opted with rookie backup goalie Brent Johnson and it almost paid off. He made several spectacular saves, including an unbelievable one vs. Rob Blake. But in the end, 24 seconds into overtime, Johnson's inexperience showed when a bad puck-clearing attempt turned into the game-winner, and series-winner goal for Colorado, abruptly ending the greatest playoff run for the Blues since 1986. Colorado, in the second period, scored first (Hejduk, power play) and St. Louis tied it two minutes later on a goal by Bryce Salvador. Joe Sakic had the overtime winner, a power play goal on a five minute major for high sticking by Khavanov near the end of regulation.

Avalanche win series 4 games to 1.

Eastern Conference

#1 New Jersey Devils vs. #6 Pittsburgh Penguins

Pittsburgh had a devil of a time trying to keep up with New Jersey. Lemieux's triumphant return to the Stanley Cup playoffs comes to an unceremonious end.

GAME ONE: PITTSBURGH 1 at NEW JERSEY 3 -May 12
Petr Sykora scored two goals as the Devils took Game One of the East Finals. Penguins stars Mario Lemieux and Jaromir Jagr were held pointless; their only goal came from Straka - the first goal of the game - a power play goal in the first. New Jersey's other goal was from Mckay, also a power play goal in the first that had tied it up.

GAME TWO: PITTSBURGH 4 at NEW JERSEY 2 -May 15
New Jersey went up 2-0 on goals by Jay Pandolfo and Petr Sykora (shorthanded) in the first, but Pittsburgh came back with four unanswered goals by Morozov (shorthanded), Kovalev, Corbet, and Lang. Lemieux assisted on Kovalev's goal.

GAME THREE: NEW JERSEY 3 at PITTSBURGH 0 -May 17
In probably their best game of the playoffs so far, the Devils dominated the pitiful Penguins who suffered their first home playoff shutout loss since the Game Seven 1975 quarterfinals against the New York Islanders. Brian Rafalski had a goal and an assist and Jason Arnott and Patrik Elias each tallied and Martin Brodeur had his 11th career playoff shutout.

GAME FOUR: NEW JERSEY 5 at PITTSBURGH 0 -May 19
Brodeur, in his second consecutive shutout, blanks the Penguins and the Devils rout them 5-0 to take a commanding 3-1 series lead. For the second straight game Jaromir Jagr and Super Mario were shut down completely. Elias, Rafalski, Sykora, Arnott, and Rafalski again (power play) all scored for the Devils.

GAME FIVE: PITTSBURGH 2 at NEW JERSEY 4 -May 22
Jason Arnott scores twice as New Jersey sends Pittsburgh packing and goes to the Stanley Cup Finals for the second time in as many years. Bobby Holik and John Madden also tallied for New Jersey. Morozov and Straka scored for the Penguins.

Devils win series 4 games to 1.


Round Four - Stanley Cup Finals

Colorado Avalanche vs. New Jersey Devils

You couldn't ask for much more than an entertaining, seven game Stanley Cup Finals series such as the one in 2001. It was back-and-forth the entire time, neither team having more than a one game lead. In the end, Raymond Bourque got what he wished for, the reason he wanted to go from Boston to Colorado: a Stanely Cup ring to retire with.

GAME ONE: NEW JERSEY 0 at COLORADO 5 -May 26
The Stanley Cup Finals start off with a rumble. Patrick Roy earns his 18th career playoff shutout as the Avalanche bury the Devils in Game One. Joe Sakic scored twice, along with Rob Blake (who also had two assists), Chris Drury and Steve Reinprecht.

GAME TWO: NEW JERSEY 2 at COLORADO 1 -May 29
The Devils regained their composure and their physical style to edge the Avs 2-1 in Game Two. Joe Sakic gave them a 1-0 lead in the first, but the tide turned when, one second after a third power play in a row for Colorado expired, Corkum scored for the Devils. Stevenson added an insurance tally and the rest of the game was scoreless, as all the goals came in the first period.

GAME THREE: COLORADO 3 at NEW JERSEY 1 -May 31
Ray Bourque, becoming - at 40 - the oldest player to score in the Finals, scored a power play goal early in the third to snap a 1-1 tie and, along with an insurance tally from Hinote, the Avs take Game Three and regain the series lead and home ice advantage. Jason Arnott gave the Devils a 1-0 lead in the first but Martin Skoula tied it later.

GAME FOUR: COLORADO 2 at NEW JERSEY 3 -June 2
Two goals in the third period gave the Devils a 3-2 win and again they tie up the series. They dominated the Avalanche, outshooting them by a margin of 35-12, even though until midway through the third they were trailing. The Devils' second goal - which tied it at 2 - came from a rare blunder by Roy. He fumbled the puck while behind the net and Jay Pandolfo grabbed it and sent it to Scott Gomez for the easy empty-net goal. It was Peter Sykora who had the game-winning goal with 2:37 left to play. New Jersey's first goal was a shorthanded tally from Patrick Elias which had tied it at 1. Rob Blake and Chris Drury tallied for the Avs.

GAME FIVE: NEW JERSEY 4 at COLORADO 1 -June 4
The Devils kick some ass for a change, Alexander Mogilny coming out of his funk to score the game winner. They scored three unanswered goals (Mogilny, Sergei Brylin, and John Madden) after Patrick Elias tallied first, followed by Tanguay's power play tying goal. The win brings them within one game of a Stanley Cup repeat.

GAME SIX: COLORADO 4 at NEW JERSEY 0 -June 7
The Devils, hungry to win the Cup again for their home fans, peppered Roy with shots early on, some of them great scoring chances, but he stopped 'em all and earned his 19th career playoff shutout, snuffing all of the Devils' 24 shots. The Avs scored four goals to make it count and forced a deciding Game Seven. Adam Foote, Nieminen, Chris Drury, and Alex Tanguay had those goals.

GAME SEVEN: NEW JERSEY 1 at COLORADO 3 -June 9
Alex Tanguay scored twice, Joe Sakic had a goal and an assist as the Avalanche win Game Seven, and the series, and Lord Stanley's Cup. As per tradition, the Cup was handed to captain Joe Sakic first, but he immediately handed it to Ray Bourque, who had spent 21 seasons with the Bruins as one of the top defensemen, earning everything but the Stanley Cup ring. The Devils, whose only goal came from second period power play goal by Sykora, fail to repeat the championship and is dethroned.

Avalanche win series 4 games to 3.

COLORADO AVALANCHE WIN THE STANLEY CUP

Conn Smythe Trophy
most valuable player in the 2001 playoffs:
Patrick Roy (COL); 23GP, 16-7; 1.58 goals-against average and .938 save percentage. His third Conn Smythe, first player to earn three.

Sources:
http://nhl.com/cupcrazy2001/firstroundsked.shtml
http://nhl.com/cupcrazy2001/secondroundsked.shtml
http://www.nhl.com/cupcrazy2001/thirdroundsked.shtml
http://www.nhl.com/cupcrazy2001/playoffsked.shtml
http://nhl.com/cupcrazy2001/index.html
http://www.hockeynut.com/0001/playoffs2001/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.