Debbie Reynolds, one of the most popular leading ladies in film during the 1950s and '60s, was born Mary Frances Reynolds in El Paso, Texas on April 1, 1932. Her family moved to California in 1940, and when she was sixteen, Debbie entered a beauty contest and won the title of "Miss Burbank of 1948." Warner Brothers spotted her and gave her a contract, changing her film name to Debbie.

After two small roles with Warner, MGM picked up her dropped contract and she landed a role in "Three Little Worlds," where she sang "I Want to Be Loved By You." The public loved the movie and Debbie began to receive more offers.

Debbie married Eddie Fisher in 1955 and they had a daughter, Carrie Fisher, the actress most well-known for her role as Princess Leia in "Star Wars." They also had a son, Todd, in 1958. She and Eddie divorced in 1959 and soon married Harry Karl in 1960. Debbie continues to this day her work in film and is especially loved in many musicals and comedies. She played the role of Kathy Seldon in the classic musical "Singin' in the Rain," and she also happened to be the voice of Charlotte in the film version of "Charlotte's Web."

She owned and helped to operate a Las Vegas casino/hotel for a number of years, but in 1997 the hotel filed for bankruptcy. It was bought by the WWF, but is now owned by a realty group who is turning it into a Greek-Isle themed hotel. Debbie has also written an autobiography called "My Life."

Some of her work includes:

"In & Out"
"Heaven and Earth"

Editors Note: On December 23, 2016, Reynolds's daughter, actress and writer Carrie Fisher, suffered a medical emergency on a transatlantic flight from London to Los Angeles, and died on December 27 at the age of 60. The following day Reynolds was hospitalized at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, after suffering a "severe stroke", according to son Todd Fisher. Later that afternoon, Reynolds died in the hospital. She was 84 years old.


"Divorce American Style"
"Mary Mary"
"How the West Was Won"
"This Happy Feeling"
"Meet Me in Las Vegas"
"Athena"
"The Tender Trap"
"The Affairs of Dobie Gillis"

Help for this node came from classicmovie musicals.com

Editors Note: On December 23, 2016, Reynolds's daughter, actress and writer Carrie Fisher, suffered a medical emergency on a transatlantic flight from London to Los Angeles, and died on December 27 at the age of 60. The following day Reynolds was hospitalized at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, after suffering a "severe stroke". Later that afternoon, Reynolds died in the hospital. She was 84 years old.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.