Katharine (Kate) Hepburn was born in 1907 and raised in Hartford and West Hartford. She was the daughter of Katharine Martha Houghton, a member of a rich and socially prominent family, (the family established the Corning glassworks) who was an active supporter of women's rights, and Dr. Thomas Hepburn, a well-known surgeon. She became interested in the theatre at an early age, and at 8, she dramatized Uncle Tom's Cabin, cast it with neighbourhood children and presented it.

In 1924, Kate entered Bryn Mawr College, where she didn't do well scholastically, or participate in any college activities - she was considered aloof, and had few friends -- but during her time there she decided to act professionally.

Two days after her graduation from college, against the vociferous objections of her father, she began work in a stock company in Baltimore. It was here that she began her long acting career.

In 1942 she co starred with Spencer Tracy for the first time in "Woman of the Year". They went on to co-star in 10 movies and have a life long relationship even though Tracy never divorced his wife. There was an undeniable chemistry between them on screen, and the films they made together were amongst the finest work of both actors.

She has received four Oscars and twelve Academy Award nominations; she was named best actress for Morning Glory (1933), Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967), The Lion in Winter (1968) and On Golden Pond (1981). Among her other honours are a gold medal as the "world's best motion picture actress" from The Venice International Motion Picture Exposition (1934) and being named "Woman of the Year" by Harvard's Hasty Pudding Club (1958). She has also co-authored and narrated a documentary entitled Katharine Hepburn: All About Me (1991) as well as a book on The Making of "The African Queen" (1987).

In 1994 Kate appeared in "Love Affair" with Warren Beatty. It was her last appearance in film. She died in June 2003.

Filmography

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.