A fantastic bass player, Rob Wasserman has been around for quite a number of years. Trained at the San Francisco Conservatory of Music, he developed a style of upright bass playing that he likens to cello, more than standard bass methodology.

His versatile bass work has made him one of the world's most in-demand artists – as demonstrated by stints with Lou Reed, Rickie Lee Jones, Van Morrison, Aaron Neville, Bobby McFerrin, Stephane Grappelli, Jerry Garcia, Edie Brickell, Bruce Hornsby, Branford Marsalis, Brian Wilson, Carnie Wilson, Neil Young, Al Duncan & the late Willie Dixon (in his last recorded appearance), Elvis Costello and dance choreographer, [Mark Morris. His longtime creative partnership with Grateful Dead guitarist Bob Weir has produced a Ratdog record.

We've been working together for years, and Ratdog has evolved into a band with the two of us as leaders," says Wasserman. "It has a bluesier feel to it that you don't get to hear too much these days, but most of all, it's honest. That's the most important thing, because to me, if you don't have honesty, you don't have anything."

Most importantly, though, the albums issued under his own name – SOLO, DUETS, TRIOS, and Space Island have set Wasserman among the stars and even earned him a Grammy for DUOS.

"I never considered myself a sideman, since I was always involved in the creative process," says Wasserman, "My nature is that I love to play this instrument but I won't be limited by it. I don't sing much, can't play drums, can't play guitar, so I have to say everything I would say with those instruments through the bass."

Discography:__________________________________

Solo
Duets
Trios
Weir / Wasserman Live
Ratdog - Evening Moods

Rob Wasserman "sittin' in... as a sideman"______________

David Grisman Quintet - "Quintet '80"
David Grisman/Stephane Grappelli - "Live"
David Grisman Quintet - "Acousticity"
Van Morrison - "Beautiful Visions"
Rickie Lee Jones - "Flying Cowboys"
Lou Reed - "New York"
Elvis Costello - "Mighty Like A Rose"
Lou Reed - "Magic & Loss"
Rickie Lee Jones - "Naked Songs"
Bruce Cockburn - "The Charity Of Night"
_______________________________________

quotes and info for this node taken from memory and from www.robwasserman.com go there 4 more info and photos and stuffs.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.