Rowlf is a dog. He played piano on The Muppet Show in both the pit orchestra and on stage (either solo or as accompaniment). He did not play with the Electric Mayhem. His piano was slightly out of tune, reminiscent of ragtime pianos. One of his most famous performances was of "I've Never Harmed an Onion, So Why do They Make Me Cry?" In The Muppet Movie, he sang (and played) a duet with Kermit the Frog called "I Hope That Something Better Comes Along". Has an album, released in 1993: Ol' Brown Ears is Back.

Rowlf was voiced by Jim Henson, and was performed by Henson and (usually) Frank Oz. Two performers were necessary -- one for the head and one for both hands. No one has voiced Rowlf since Henson's death, despite his apparent popularity. This is too bad.

Rowlf is probably the second-oldest Muppet still in use today, behind only Kermit. He appeared in commercials for Purina dog chow, and he made regular appearances on the Jimmy Dean Show (as well as occassional appearances on some other variety shows). According to Henson.com, he was also a spokesdog for IBM at one point.

The character of Rowlf the Dog was retired upon Jim Henson's death. Rowlf was Jim Henson's favorite of his creations and the Henson estate deemed that no one should voice Rolwf after his death. He has made some minor (non-speaking) appearances since Jim Henson's death.

Rowlf was my favorite character. As a child I had a copy of The Muppet Show Album on which Rowlf sun Cottleston Pie a song which has stayed with me to this day. Also his duets with Sam The American Eagle were some of the funniest sketches on The Muppet Show.

More proof that the death of Jim Henson was one of the two greatest blows to children of all ages to happen in my life time. (the other was the death of Dr. Seuss).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.