SAG is also known as the Screen Actors Guild or some approximation thereof. It has had a long history of clashes with the studio bosses and while currently is working, the threat of another strike is very close. When this happens, movie studios tend to crank out the movies so that they have stock to coast on during the strike.

The main purpose SAG serves is defending the rights of the everyday actor. I've heard the rule for acting before: "95% of the money is made by 5% of the people". Most of the people in SAG have other jobs as well, and are scrapping by.

Sag (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Sagged (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Sagging (?).] [Akin to Sw. sacka to settle, sink down, LG.sacken, D. zakken. Cf. Sink, v. i.]

1.

To sink, in the middle, by its weight or under applied pressure, below a horizontal line or plane; as, a line or cable supported by its ends sags, though tightly drawn; the floor of a room sags; hence, to lean, give way, or settle from a vertical position; as, a building may sag one way or another; a door sags on its hinges.

2.

Fig.: To lose firmness or elasticity; to sink; to droop; to flag; to bend; to yield, as the mind or spirits, under the pressure of care, trouble, doubt, or the like; to be unsettled or unbalanced.

[R.]

the mind I sway by, and the heart I bear, Shall never sag with doubt nor shake with fear. Shak.

3.

To loiter in walking; to idle along; to drag or droop heavily.

To sag to leeward Naut., to make much leeway by reason of the wind, sea, or current; to drift to leeward; -- said of a vessel.

Totten.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sag, v. t.

To cause to bend or give way; to load.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sag, n.

State of sinking or bending; sagging.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.