ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON

The University of Washington is classified as a coeducational public institution of higher learning. It is located in Seattle, Washington. The locals call it the UW (pronounced "you-dub"). Almost everyone in Washington can be categorized into two different groups: UW Husky Fans and Washington State University Cougar Fans. The university was founded on November 4, 1861, on the outskirts of the village of Seattle. That is now downtown Seattle, but in 1891 the university was relocated to north of downtown.

The UW has three campusues in Tacoma, Bothell, and Seattle. It consists of six colleges:

  • Architecture/Urban Planning
  • Arts/Sciences
  • Education
  • Engineering
  • Forest Resources
  • Ocean/Fishery Sciences
  • and ten schools major schools (there are others):

  • Graduate School of Public Affairs
  • School of Business Administration
  • Graduate School of Library and Information Science
  • School of Pharmacy
  • School of Law
  • School of Social Work
  • School of Dentistry
  • School of Nursing
  • School of Medicine
  • School of Public Health and Community Medicine

  • The Mission Statement of the University was written by the Board of Regents in February of 1981. It was revised in February of 1998. It is as follows:

    The primary mission of the University of Washington is the preservation, advancement, and dissemination of knowledge. The University preserves knowledge through its libraries and collections, its courses, and the scholarship of its faculty. It advances new knowledge through many forms of research, inquiry, and discussion; and disseminates it through the classroom and the laboratory, scholarly exchanges, creative practice, international education, and public service. As one of the nation's outstanding teaching and research institutions, the University is committed to maintaining an environment for objectivity and imaginative inquiry and for the original scholarship and research that ensure the production of new knowledge in the free exchange of diverse facts, theories, and ideas.

    To promote their capacity to make humane and informed decisions, the University fosters an environment in which its students can develop mature and independent judgment and an appreciation of the range and diversity of human achievement. The University cultivates in its students both critical thinking and the effective articulation of that thinking.

    As an integral part of a large and diverse community, the university seeks broad representation of and encourages sustained participation in that community by its students, its faculty, and its staff. It serves both non-traditional and traditional students. Through its three-campus system and through educational outreach, evening degree and distance learning programs, it extends educational opportunities to many who would not otherwise have access to them.

    The academic core of the University of Washington is its College of Arts and Sciences; the teaching and research of the University's many professional schools provide essential complements to these programs in the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural and mathematical sciences. Programs in law, medicine, forest resources, oceanography and fisheries, library science, and aeronautics are offered exclusively (in accord with state law) by the University of Washington. In addition, the University of Washington has assumed primary responsibility for the health science fields of dentistry and public health, and offers education and training in medicine for a multi-state region of the Pacific Northwest and Alaska. The schools and colleges of architecture and urban planning, business administration, education, engineering, nursing, pharmacy, public affairs, and social work have a long tradition of educating students for service to the region and the nation. These schools and colleges make indispensable contributions to the state and, with the rest of the university, share a long tradition of educating undergraduate and graduate students towards achieving an excellence that well serves the state, the region and the nation.


    The members of the UW's Board of Regents are as follows (as of 2001):

  • Board President: Constance L. Proctor
  • Board Vice President: Ark G. Chin
  • UW President: Dr. Richard L. McCormick
  • William H. Gates II (father of Bill Gates of Microsoft)
  • Cindy Zehnder
  • Mari J. Clack
  • Jeffrey H. Brotman
  • Shelly Yapp
  • Daniel J. Evans
  • Gerald Grinstein
  • Amit Ranade

  • For more information, contact the Visitor's Information Center at (206) 543-9198 or uwvic@u.washington.edu.


    Sources:
    http://www.washington.edu/
    http://encarta.msn.com/encarta/Contents.asp?pg=2&ti=761562902

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.