Neal Stephenson is brilliant.

Now, this novel is not nearly as mindbending as Stephenson's other stuff, like Snow Crash, or Cryptonomicon. Don't let that discourage you from reading it, though. It is thoroughly entertaining. As always, there is wicked character development, and well researched tech stuff, but unfortunately, it suffers from Neal Stephenson's "Where the fuck was the ending" syndrome (though to a lesser degree than Snow Crash). Also, it features the infamous Sangamon's Principle.

This book is an eco-thriller. Sangamon Taylor, our fearless protagonist, goes about making life inconvenient for large corporations who would overrun the world with carcinogenic chemicals. He does this, primarily, from his Zodiac raft (hence the title). The preferred way to do this, of course, is in front of television cameras. During a routine inspection of the harbour, he discovers some very unusual things which should not have been there, things that certain people want to remain secret. In the interest of not spoiling it, I'm not going to tell you any more. Go find it and read it.

Stop reading now if you haven't read the book...

One thing that resonates very clearly in this book is the way that the media can be bent to destroy lives. I think he describes this expertly, when Sangamon is branded a terrorist. That it took so little to incriminate Sangamon in the eyes of the people as compared to the evidence that he accumulates against various corporations is truly frightening.

I saw a hint of orange in the distance. It fast approached me through the mist and low fog of an early San Francisco morning. As it grew large, I could hear the high pitched whine of a Mercury V-6 four stroke. The boat came nearer. It looked like Jesus on cocaine shooting over the water like an Olympic power walker. It passed, in a burst of orange, leaving a plume of water several meters high. So came the Zodiac.

Zodiac Incorporated is a Canadian company that makes some of the best small craft in the world. They are known for their flexibility, agility, and durability. This explains why the Zodiac is popular in many movies and books. Aside from Neal Stephenson's book, Zodiac craft have been seen in many movies, and with James Bond. The research arm is based in Canada, while the corporation is based in France, one of their largest customers.

History

As our dear Webby states, Zodiac can mean a girdle, or belt. While this might not be the orgin of the company's name, this makes sense, given their products. Zodiac started in 1896 as a dirigible company. They built blimps through WWI. They even built a biplane in 1912. In the 1930's they developed an inflatible boat of the same materials as their durable dirigibles.

The first boat was merely a platform on two inflatable pontoons. From there, they developed an U shaped inflatable with a rigid center in 1946. In the 1950's they developed life rafts. Through the 60s and 70s, they made improvements on their boat designs. They kept with the rigid hull and inflatable sidewall design. On the recreational boats, the bottoms were flat. On commercial and military boats, the hulls were V shaped and designed to plane without drifting.

In 1978, the ZED hull design was finalized. This is the current hull design made famous by so many books and movies. The hull is V shaped. It enables the boat to plane while still keeping it from sliding over the water. In essance, they built a hull with a keel. In development, they have jet (impeller) powered pleasure boats.

Products

They make four basic lines of boats. These are divided by hull type, not by product name. For instance: they make rigid-hull inflatables for both fishing applications and super-yatch tenders.

  • Semi rigid inflatables-These boats are smaller sport boats. They are of cloth construction with plywood inserts for the floor, making it semi-rigid. They handle smaller motors
  • Rigid-hull inflatables-These have a solid, V shaped hull with an inflatable U shaped sidewall. These come with center consoles for steering and electronics. Zodiac markets these as recreational fishing boats, survey boats, and tenders for large ships.
  • Commercial/Rescue/Military Rigid inflatables- These are stronger rigid hull inflatables. The inflatable sidewall is foam filled. This keeps water out in the event of a rip. These are also self-righting and come with better rigging and larger fuel tanks. The military versions are colored accordingly and have reenforced front ends for beach landings.
  • Traditional Hulls-These are fiber glass and carbon fiber boats that are larger and faster. In addition to rescue, military and comercial versions, they make mega-yatch tenders in this hull form.
  • Water toys-These are made under the Sevylor brand name. They make kayaks, inflatable rafts, and all those other wonderful generic water toys.

Applications

Zodiac is not the only manufacturer of small and inflatable craft, though they are the standard by which all others are measured. The product line is a very good indication of their target applications and customers. They sell to many rescue services, the military, police and fire agencies, and small harbor authorities. The rigid-hulled boats cost upwards of 40000 dollars with an engine. They are not cheap, but will take a hell of a beating. Zodiac will custom build boats for you, but for a price, as always (unless you happen to be Sangamon).

Sources: http://www.zodiac.ca, http://www.zodiacmilpro.com

Zo"di*ac (?), n. [F. zodiaque (cf. It. zodiaco), fr. L. zodiacus, Gr. (sc. ), fr. , dim. of an animal, akin to living, to live.]

1. Astron. (a)

An imaginary belt in the heavens, 16° or 18° broad, in the middle of which is the ecliptic, or sun's path. It comprises the twelve constellations, which one constituted, and from which were named, the twelve signs of the zodiac.

(b)

A figure representing the signs, symbols, and constellations of the zodiac.

2.

A girdle; a belt.

[Poetic & R.]

By his side, As in a glistering zodiac, hung the sword. Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.