This is the place I was telling you about, he said. This is where we keep everything.

He paused outside the gates, flashed a shy yet proud smile at her and swung them open. A dry darkness poured out at them, filled with dust and wonder. She surveyed the shelves which gradually disappeared into the darkness, some bursting with stuff, some only half-filled, and smiled back at him.

You mean I could find anything here?

Slowly they walked into that great space, their steps making soft echoes on the icy floor. She let her gaze wander about the seemingly never-ending space, mouth half open, eyes growing wide with dreams. He went over to a shelf, motioning her to follow, selected a box and opened it. Wow, she said. They smiled at eachother then, with secrets that both of them knew.

So this is where I should put all my dirty secrets if I ever feel like disclosing them? She played with the thought.

He smiled. Only if they are good dirty secrets, he said. They won't accept anything.

A"ny*thing (#), n.

1.

Any object, act, state, event, or fact whatever; thing of any kind; something or other; aught; as, I would not do it for anything.

Did you ever know of anything so unlucky? A. Trollope.

They do not know that anything is amiss with them. W. G. Sumner.

2.

Expressing an indefinite comparison; -- with as or like.

[Colloq. or Lowx]

I fear your girl will grow as proud as anything. Richardson.

Any thing, written as two words, is now commonly used in contradistinction to any person or anybody. Formerly it was also separated when used in the wider sense. "Necessity drove them to undertake any thing and venture any thing."

De Foe.

Anything but, not at all or in any respect. "The battle was a rare one, and the victory anything but secure." Hawthorne. -- Anything like, in any respect; at all; as, I can not give anything like a fair sketch of his trials.

 

© Webster 1913.


A"ny*thing, adv.

In any measure; anywise; at all.

Mine old good will and hearty affection towards you is not . . . anything at all quailed. Robynson (More's Utopia).

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.