A technique to achieve tight turns. Begin when entering a turn, by turning out and away from the turn, then quickly and aggressively "flick" the steering wheel back into the turn. Done properly, you get a skid that leaves the car facing the exit of the turn.

This maneuver may have been what Doc Hudson wants to teach Lightning McQueen to do in Cars.

Professional driver. Do not attempt.

A flick is also a slang term for any photograph of graffiti.

Flicks are vital to graffiti culture because they are generally the only way of documenting works that often disappear, whether it's under buff paint, or down the tracks into infinity. They are historical documents, and snapshots of style.

Flicks are at the same time prized by both the police, who collect them as evidence, and the graffiti writer, who values them as a priceless visual record. Benchers spend inordinate amounts of time organizing their flicks in albums, trading them, and acquiring them by any means necessary.

The flick is an extremely fast attack technique used in the sport of fencing, most typically with the flexible foil weapon.

A little context: the most common attack made in fencing is called a thrust: a quick, forceful extension of the arm with the weapon held out straight and level at your opponent's target area, driving the point of the weapon onto your opponent's body and scoring a point. There are many, many variations on the basic thrust, but almost all attacks in foil and epee fencing rely on one form of arm extension or another.

The flick attack does not rely on arm extension, but rather is accomplished by applying a whipping action to the weapon so that the point of the blade is "thrown" towards your opponent's body:

Imagine that you take a half cooked noodle in your hand and hold it out straight. Now bend your arm at the elbow as far as it will go, so that your forearm and the noodle point straight up in the air; quickly extend your arm from the elbow and abruptly stop when your arm is at the 45 deg. postion: you'll notice that the noodle will whip forward and will actually bend quite a bit. This is how the fencer accomplishes a flick attack -- by whipping the blade, causing it to bend (up to 180 deg. of arc in some cases) very quickly.

When used properly, it is a very potent attack for two primary reasons. First, it is hard for your opponent to see where the blade is, how fast it is moving, and where it is headed (since you usually infer the position of the opponent's blade by watching the bell guard, a cue which becomes irrelevant when the blade is bent to such a high degree.) Second, the blade can be made to bend around parts of the opponent -- his blade, his arm, his shoulders, or even his whole head, in the case of the devastating back-flick.

It is not without its problems. First of all, fencers that know only how to flick (there are surprisingly many) will be successful against only novice opponents, since most intermediate and advanced fencers are able to avoid the flick if they can see it coming. Second, it can cause damage to the weapon if performed too many times.

Most importantly, there is quite a bit of controversy regarding how the flick fits into the rules of fencing.


WARNING: read Right of Way before you read the next paragraph, really . . .
In the official FIE rules of fencing, a fencer claims right of way by initiating forward motion of the weapon tip in a way that threatens his opponent's target area. A standard thrust attack has not problem satisfying this requirement, but a flick does: in order for a fencer to initiate a flick, he must first bring his arm and weapon back (remember the noodle?) and then fling it forward. In this way, the flick is initiated by a backward not forward motion of the tip; according to a strict interpretation of the rules, this initiation does NOT establish right of way.

But some people disagree -- and this is not just an academic argument. In a fencing match, the final decision over who has right of way and who doesn't is made by a judge, a human. Thus, depending on the country, and even the region of the country you fence in, the judges you encounter at official tournaments may or may not consider a flick attack as taking right of way. This has been known to cause no small amount of friction in US national fencing circuits, particularly in the Northeast, where a 45 minute's drive can make the difference between what sort of judging can be found.

Aside from being problematic when determining Right-of-way, the flick in Fencing is a good way to get hurt if you tell a new fencer about it. He/she will almost undoubtably want to try it. He/she will also usually fail completely, nailing your kidney, butt, that niggly muscle sheath under the shoulder blade, or the side of your head. All of these things will hurt

"The finest fencer in France has no fear of second-finest; He is far more terrified of worst fencer"

Flick (flik), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Flicked (flikt); p. pr. & vb. n. Flicking.] [Cf. Flicker.]

To whip lightly or with a quick jerk; to flap; as, to flick a horse; to flick the dirt from boots. Thackeray.

 

© Webster 1913


Flick, n.

A flitch; as, a flick of bacon.

 

© Webster 1913


Flick (?), v. t.

To throw, snap, or toss with a jerk; to flirt; as, to flick a whiplash.

Rude boys were flicking butter pats across chaos.
Kipling.

 

© Webster 1913


Flick, n. [See Flick, v. t.]

A light quick stroke or blow, esp. with something pliant; a flirt; also, the sound made by such a blow.

She actually took the whip out of his hand and gave a flick to the pony.
Mrs. Humphry Ward.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.