Penal is one of the archeological sites located in the Sierra de Atapuerca (in Spain).

This particular site is a small cave located in front of the Gran Dolina (this cave was actually part of the same system as the Gran Dolina, but they are independent channels now). The two caves have a wildly different sedimentary record.

This is the only one of the Sierra de Atapuerca sites that shows no signs of human activity. This cave seems to have mainly served as a home to birds of prey and small mammalian carnivores. However, the taphonomical and sedimentary data from this cave has has proved to be very valuable in interpreting the ecology of the area.

Sources
http://romani.iua.urv.es/webEN/Atapuerca1EN.html
http://www.med.abaco-mac.it/issue001/articles/arkeos/garcia.htm
http://www.atapuerca.com/eng/around.htm

Pe"nal (?), a. [L. poenalis, fr. poena punishment: cf. F. p'enal. See Pain.]

Of or pertaining to punishment, to penalties, or to crimes and offenses; pertaining to criminal jurisprudence

: as: (a)

Enacting or threatening punishment; as, a penal statue; the penal code

. (b)

Incurring punishment; subject to a penalty; as, a penalact of offense

. (c)

Inflicted as punishment; used as a means of punishment; as, a penal colony or settlement.

"Adamantine chains and penal fire."

Milton.

Penal code Law, a code of laws concerning crimes and offenses and their punishment. -- Penal laws, Penal statutes Law, laws prohibited certain acts, and imposing penalties for committing them. -- Penal servitude, imprisonment with hard labor, in a prison, in lieu of transportation. [Great Brit.] -- Penal suit, Penal action Law, a suit for penalties.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.