An important method of solving a problem, very important to test-taking (SAT, ACT, and multiple-choice questions)

For Example, let's say you're on Who wants to be a Millionaire? and the $500,000 question is:

On the Website Everything2.com, who was the first person to say "SOY! SOY! SOY! Soy makes you strong! Strength crushes enemies! SOY!"?

A. Dem Bones
B. dannye
C. theFez
D. DMan
E. George W. Bush

Well, if you're reading this, you probably have a better chance of answering correctly than the poor fob currently sweating over the question.

The process of elimination is most invaluable in this case. You probably don't know who it is off the top of your head, so what do you do?

First, read the choices. You know George W. Bush never said anything of the kind, it's more of a Dan Quayle saying, so you can eliminate E.

A. Dem Bones
B. dannye
C. theFez
D. DMan
E. George W. Bush

Look at the rest. Well, Dem Bones is too busy trying to make E2 a mainstream site, so he's off the list. You can either use your 50-50 lifeline to have accomplished the above 2 steps, or keep on eliminating. Dannye is busy howling at the new users to read the FAQ, and DMan wouldn't be so childish or hysterically funny (your opinion), so the answer is most likely theFez.

Are you sure...positive it's theFez? No, but there are no other choices. You can either be dead certain that theFez wrote it, or completely sure that none of the others wrote it. Either one makes you just as certain.

As Sherlock Holmes once said, "If you can eliminate all the other choices, the remaining choice, no matter how improbable, is the answer."

So the next time Regis Philbin asks, tell him you learned of it from E2 and give this nice site a plug.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.