A rock and roll superstar. Famous not only for their music, but for their lifestyle and crazy antics offstage. For instance trashing hotel rooms, doing drugs, having more sex than everyone else on the planet. They know how to rock out. Real rock stars existed only in the Seventies and maybe the Sixties. Keith Moon, Robert Plant, Jimi Hendrix, Keith Richards, Patti Smith are some. Anyone else in any other decade is merely a poor imitation.

Here at work, a lot of people use the term "rock star" to denote someone of great skill or proficiency. For example. "He's a regular expressions rock star." or "She's an Oracle DBI rock star." It's considered high praise. I had never heard "rock star" used like that before. Maybe it's because so of them come from the East Coast.

It feels good when someone calls you a "rock star" (I was, briefly, the rock star of perl maps). I just wish we got groupies too.

Rock Star is a movie, starring Mark Wahlberg and Jennifer Aniston, about a singer in a tribute band who lands a deal singing with the actual band, Steel Dragon. The plot is summed up perfectly by the tagline- “The wannabe who got to be.” It’s pretty much like watching an episode of Behind The Music, only with reenactments instead of interviews.

Working titles for the film included Metal God and So You Want to be a Rock Star?

Directed by Stephen Herek, (who also directed Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure and Mr. Holland’s Opus) Rock Star will make you want to stand up and shout, provided you are the type of person who secretly wishes hair bands were still cool…which, of course, they should be. It is also one of those rare films where it pays off to stay and watch the credits, as they play “Good Vibrations” by Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.