1. A brand of beer. Comes in a gold can with a deer on the label
  2. male red deer.
  3. adult male dear
  4. attend a dance or a party without a female companion
  5. watch, observe, or inquire secretly (spy, snoop)

See: stag party

Amy Ray's solo album, released on her own Daemon Records. Ray used this non-Indigo Girls album to go for a much more punky flavor (postpunk?), and confirmation to fans everywhere that yes, some flavors of indigo are better than others.

Few successful recording artists would, in their right mind, turn even temporarily away from a thriving mainstream career to chase down an indie dream. Just about any major label (and almost certainly the Indigo Girls' Epic) would have been happy to hand Ray a blank check to make a solo album. Instead she used the indie label she founded 11 years ago. Recorded with friends and cronies ranging from veteran tough girl Joan Jett to alterna-country Belle Kelly Hogan to the dyke-rock trio The Butchies, Stag also lays to rest any lingering doubts about whether girls with acoustic guitar can rock. "When i was younger," she's said, "I was listening to The Clash and Patti Smith. i didn't really fit in musically with them at all, but it was really inspiring music. So the way I approached this record was to follow that energy."

From the mandolin-based folk punk of "Johnny Rottentail" to the nostalgic, straightforward guitar rock of "Late Bloom" to "Laramie," a song ray written in response to the murder of Matthew Shepard ("hey all you jokers, hunting season's over"), to the raucous and outspoken "Lucy Stoner," which condenms the male dominated music industry and Rolling Stones/Jann Wenner in particular, the songs on Stag are a showcase for her gifts as a songwriter.

Amy Ray has given me words for emotions I couldn't quite define, and she's done just that as well as pushed way beyond the boundaries of her Indigo Girls work with this record.

tracks

01 Johnny Rottentale
02 Laramie
03 Lucy Stoner
04 Hey Castrator
05 Late Bloom
06 Measure of Me
07 Black Heart Today
08 Mountains of Glory
09 On Your Honor
10 Lazyboy

Stag (?), n. [Icel. steggr the male of several animals; or a doubtful AS. stagga. Cf. Steg.]

1. Zool. (a)

The adult male of the red deer (Cervus elaphus), a large European species closely related to the American elk, or wapiti.

(b)

The male of certain other species of large deer.

2.

A colt, or filly; also, a romping girl.

[Prov. Eng.]

3.

A castrated bull; -- called also bull stag, and bull seg. See the Note under Ox.

4. Stock Exchange (a)

An outside irregular dealer in stocks, who is not a member of the exchange.

[Cant] (b)

One who applies for the allotment of shares in new projects, with a view to sell immediately at a premium, and not to hold the stock.

[Cant]

5. Zool.

The European wren.

[Prov. Eng.]

Stag beetle Zool., any one of numerous species of lamellicorn beetles belonging to Lucanus and allied genera, especially L. cervus of Europe and L. dama of the United States. The mandibles are large and branched, or forked, whence the name. The lava feeds on the rotten wood of dead trees. Called also horned bug, and horse beetle. -- Stag dance, a dance by men only. [slang, U.S.] -- Stag hog Zool., the babiroussa. -- Stag-horn coral Zool., any one of several species of large branching corals of the genus Madrepora, which somewhat resemble the antlers of the stag, especially Madrepora cervicornis, and M. palmata, of Florida and the West Indies. -- Stag-horn fern Bot., an Australian and West African fern (Platycerium alcicorne) having the large fronds branched like a stag's horns; also, any species of the same genus. -- Stag-horn sumac Bot., a common American shrub (Rhus typhina) having densely velvety branchlets. See Sumac. -- Stag party, a party consisting of men only. [Slang, U. S.] -- Stag tick Zool., a parasitic dipterous insect of the family Hippoboscidae, which lives upon the stag and in usually wingless. The same species lives also upon the European grouse, but in that case has wings.

 

© Webster 1913.


Stag, v. i. Com.

To act as a "stag", or irregular dealer in stocks.

[Cant]

 

© Webster 1913.


Stag, v. t.

To watch; to dog, or keep track of.

[Prov. Eng. or Slang]

H. Kingsley.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.