An Endocrine gland, located in the neck, consisting of two lobes connected by the isthmus. The thyroid secreted hormones that regulate metabolism. The thyroid hormones are stored in the form of thyroglobulin, a glycoprotein. The metabolic rate of an individual is dependent on a sufficient intake of iodine and on stimulation by thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) from the pituitary gland.

The thyroid gland is a butterfly-shaped gland located below and to the sides of the trachea and esophagus and above to the larynx, that is, in the neck. The thyroid gland creates hormones that regulate metabolism.
When the thyroid malfunctions, you'll end up with either hyperthyroidism (too much hormone) or hypothyroidism (too little). Women in particular may be susceptible to Hashimoto's thyroiditis, an auto-immune disease that causes your immune system to attack your thyroid (results in hypothyroidism).

Thy"roid (?), a. [Gr. shield-shaped; a large, oblong shield (from a door) + form: cf. F. thyroide, thyr'eoide.]

1.

Shaped like an oblong shield; shield-shaped; as, the thyroid cartilage.

2. Anat.

Of or pertaining to the thyroid body, thyroid cartilage, or thyroid artery; thyroideal.

Thyroid cartilage. See under Larynx. -- Thyroid body, ∨ Thyroid gland Anat., a glandlike but ductless body, or pair of bodies, of unknown function, in the floor of the mouth or the region of the larynx. In man and most mammals it is a highly vascular organ, partly surrounding the base of the larynx and the upper part of the trachea.<-- produces thyroxine. --> -- Thyroid dislocation Surg., dislocation of the thigh bone into the thyroid foramen. -- Thyroid foramen, the obturator foramen.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.