(In the context of Compact Discs) A track is a song, or a section of the whole CD.
(In the context of a 4-track) A track is a channel or a layer of music on a particular song. Usually for a single instrument.
Think of it in this way: An audio cassette has four tracks, left and right channels for side A and side B. With a four track device, all of these channels are used for side A, and each can be read from or written to separately.

A ring on a disk where data can be written. A typical floppy disk has 80 (double-density) or 160 (high-density) tracks. For hard disks, each platter is divided into tracks, and a single track location that cuts through all platters (and both sides of each platter) is called a cylinder. Hard disks contain many thousands of cylinders.

Track (?), n. [OF.trac track of horses, mules, trace of animals; of Teutonic origin; cf.D.trek a drawing, trekken to draw, travel, march, MHG. trechen, pret. trach. Cf. Trick.]

1.

A mark left by something that has passed along; as, the track, or wake, of a ship; the track of a meteor; the track of a sled or a wheel.

The bright track of his fiery car. Shak.

2.

A mark or impression left by the foot, either of man or beast; trace; vestige; footprint.

Far from track of men. Milton.

3. Zool.

The entire lower surface of the foot;-said of birds, ect.

4.

A road; a beaten path.

Behold Torquatus the same track pursue. Dryden.

5.

Course; way; as, the track of a comet.

6.

A path or course laid out for a race, for exercise, ect.

7. Raolroad

The permanent way; the rails.

8. [Perhaps a mistake for tract.]

A tract or area, as of land.

[Obs.] "Small tracks of ground."

Fuller.

Track scale, a railway scale. See under Railway.

 

© Webster 1913.


Track, v. t. [imp. & p. p. tracked (?); p. pr. & vb. n. tracking.]

To follow the tracks or traces of; to pursue by following the marks of the feet; to trace; to trail; as, to track a deer in the snow.

It was often found impossible to track the robbers to their retreats among the hills and morasses. Macaulay.

2. Naut.

To draw along continuously, as a vessel, by a line, men or animals on shore being the motive power; to tow.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.