"Because we're unaccustomed to it, we don't usually see that there's a third possible logical term equal to yes or no which is capable of expanding our understanding in an unrecognisable direction. We don't even have a term for it, so I'll have to use the Japanese 'mu'.

mu means 'no thing'. Like 'quality' it points outside the process of dualistic discrimination. mu simply says, 'no class; not one, not zero, not yes, not no'.

It states that the context of the question is such that a yes or no answer is in error and should not be given. 'Unask the question' is what it says."



- Robert M. Pirsig from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.





mu is also a sub-culture magazine, based in Perth, Australia. It's refreshing and very very innovative, all a mishmash of textures and texts and sprawling, experimental pieces; my favourite, though it is never produced as regularly as I like. It's a very eclectic mix of music, culture, art and fashion bringing together the talents of Australian and international writers and artists in a unique collaboration of styles and subjects.

The mu catchphrase is "Lollipop Culture for the Accelerated Generation," and is printed on matte recycled paper for "tomorrow's people today."