To avoid the pain of the needle in the same place every time, ask for a central line AKA catheter. In this context, a catheter is a tube threaded through a major blood vessel all the way to just outside the heart, making the constant problem of finding a vein for injection or drawing blood trivial. A port-a-cath is especially convenient.

With a regular central line, you end up with a tube sticking out of your skin which requires special care to prevent a serious infection. Showering for instance becomes a ritualistic ordeal.

A port-a-cath once installed is simply a small button-like structure under your skin. A nurse pokes the button-like port whenever you need a IV or a shot. You can even get a double-ported port-a-cath, which can be convenient if you need to receive chemotherapy and IV fluids at the same time.It is important when injections are being given that the injection site is kept sterile, but the rest of the time you can live like everybody else.

Some forms of chemotherapy are so harsh they require a catheter since the chemicals will destroy small blood vessels if injected into them directly. Also since the chemicals are first introduced in the heart they will be distributed evenly throughout the body.

While the insertion of a catheter is one of the most routine procedures performed by a surgeon, it is not without risk. Damage to the blood vessel during insertion or removal of the device can lead to scar tissue, which can further lead to blood clots or closure of the vessel altogether. Bacteria can be introduced through the catheter directly into the blood stream and can lead to a massive (even fatal) infection.