A phrase much beloved of South Park's Eric Cartman, in response to anything new age, ecological or even merely liberal. First uttered in episode 2. The phrase is quite useful to describe crystal aura cleansing or suchlike content-free wholesome feelgood mumbo-jumbo.

I have also seen this phrase on a T shirt, under a drawing of Cartman.

Herewith an excerpt from the transcription of the second episode of South Park. The kids are discussing their ecologically-themed essays:

Stan: Dolphins are way smarter than you.
Cartman: If they're so smart, why do they live in igloos?
Stan: Dolphins don't live in igloos, that's eskimos.
Cartman: Dolphins, eskimos, who cares? It's all a bunch of tree-hugging hippie crap.
Stan: Tell me what you wrote about!
Cartman: I can't. I have to go home and get in shape.
Stan: Yeah, right. You'll go and sit in front of the TV and eat cheesy poofs, ass-master!
Cartman: Screw you, hippie.

Part of the reason why Cartman is so funny is that he is so unreasonable. The way in which his fictional targets really are in need of a comedown reveals an anti-hippie bias on the part of South Park's creators. But be honest, there is a lot of hippie crap out there.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.