Amongst UFO theorists of the more conspiratological, government cover-up kind, 'the Aviary' is taken to refer to a group of individuals, often with ties to existing intelligence agencies, or being well-placed in UFO media outlets, with an ambiguous role, either one of 'preparing the public' for future UFO revelations, or spreading disinformation in order to keep people guessing about the true nature of UFO phenomena.

They crop up mostly in the MJ-12 or Majestic 12 mythos concerning various purported groupings of top-level government advisors formed in order to combat the UFO menace (or sell us down the river to the aliens, etc., depending whom you believe) which seems to emanate from the strange, tangled, goings on between reputed AFOSI (air force intelligence) agent Richard Doty, Paul Bennewitz (a UFO researcher who was, amongst other things, trying to receive alien communications by writing a computer program to 'decode' radio noise) and (slightly more reputable) UFO investigator William Moore - himself an ex-AFOSI (Air Force Office of Special Investigations) staffer.

In a 1991 article for Fate Magazine, and, I believe, at a UFO conference (MUFON) around the same time, Moore shocked the UFO community by claimed to have been working with a group of government disinformation agents, actively passing on their contaminated information to other researchers, in exchange for real information which they promised to release to him concerning government knowledge of UFOs. This disinformation group was given the name 'the Aviary' in Moore's article.

Each member is thought to have a 'bird-name' - a codename which is the name of a bird. Here's a list, which has some nice biographical details, quoted from a 1996 article by Richard J. Boylan, Ph.D., which has been influential in the field. There are many different lists in circulation, so you shouldn't take this as more than a representative sample. Still, it has all the main names in it. I think the attribution of particular positions within agencies such as the CIA should be taken with some caution, though a lot of the biographical information provided is correct, in terms of institutional affiliations.

Amusingly, Aviary story originator William Moore gets a mention as a member in this version of the list!

BLUEJAY
Dr. Christopher "Kit" Green, MD, Ph.D., Chief, Biomedical Sciences Department, General Motors; former custodian of the CIA's UFO files at the "Weird Desk"; received the National Intelligence Medal for his work on a classified project during the period of 1979-1983; recently reported to be White House UFO liaison.

PELICAN
Ron Pandolfi, CIA Deputy Director for the Division of Science and Technology, and current custodian of UFO files at the "Weird Desk"; involved in the White House Initiative, as UFO liaison, to expedite (at Laurence Rockefeller's behest) the release of UFO information to the public; and has been quietly leaking UFO information the past few years.

OWL
Hal Puthoff, physicist with the Institute for Advanced research in Austin, TX. formerly a Stanford Research Institute (SRI) and reported DIA researcher, (along with psi guru and fellow Scientologist Ingo Swann,) into parapsychological, psychotronic, remote-viewing, and mind-control projects, and reportedly involved in classified ET-technology studies.

RAVEN
(Identity not yet determined.) RAVEN appears to be a kingpin in The Aviary, and a Washington insiders' guessing game has sprung up, as devotees of UFO intelligence data argue for the probable identity of their favorite "candidate". [Possible candidates: Henry Kissinger, Ph.D., Edward Teller, Ph.D.; General Brent Scowcroft.]

PENGUIN
John B. Alexander, Ph.D. in Death Sciences (Thanatology), Lt. Col., ("Ret."), U.S. Army Intelligence and Security Command (INSCOM), which is undoubtedly his military cover for the National Security Agency (NSA). Colonel Alexander is director of the Non-Lethal Weapons Department, Los Alamos National Laboratory, and has been reportedly involved in counter-intelligence remote-viewing, psychic-warfare, psychotronic and mind-control projects with military/security applications, while maintaining the cover of nonlethal military/crowd control physical-countermeasures research. Dr. Alexander is a Board Member, (along with INSCOM General Al Stubblebine and INSCOM Major Ed Dames), of PSI-Tech Corp. (involved in proprietary remote- viewing projects).

HAWK
Ernie Kellerstraus security-cleared for UFO information, worked at Wright-Patterson AFB in the 1970's, and is reported to have lived with an extraterrestrial for a while; reported to have worked with Dale Graff (*HARRIER*?) and Captain Bob Collins (CONDOR), Air Force Intelligence, to supply UFO information to USAF/AFOSI disinformation operative/ "UFOlogist" William Moore.

(Bird name unknown, PARTRIDGE?)
Jacques Vallee, Ph.D., formerly an astrophysicist with GEPAN, the French Goverrnment's UFO investigative agency, later moved to U.S. as principal investigator with Defense Department computer network projects; worked with famed astronomer Dr. J. Allen Hynek who left and denounced the military's Project Blue Book as a disinformational smokescreen; prolific author on UFO subject, lately turning to metaphysical explanations for the phenomenon.

SEAGULL
Bruce Maccabee, Ph.D., research scientist in optical physics and laser weapons applications at the U.S. Naval Surface Weapons Lab, MD; MUFON physics/photo-interpretive consultant, and prolific author and consultant expert on selected "leaked" or disinformational UFO cases/topics, such as the Gulf Breeze-Ed Walters alleged UFO photos, the Canadian "Carp UFO" hoaxed "incident", and the documented repeat UFO landings at the hyper-secure Manzano Canyon Facility at Kirtland AFB/Sandia National Laboratories Military Reservation.

CHICKADEE
Cmdr. C.B. Scott Jones, Ph.D., USN (Ret.), former officer with the Office of Naval Intelligence and other Agencies; with 30 years service in U.S. Intelligence overseas; involved in government research and development projects for the Defense Nuclear Agency (DNA), Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA), Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), the Army Intelligence and Security Command (INSCOM) and other organizations; former Senate aide to Sen. Claiborne Pell, who has had a long-standing interest in UFOs and the paranormal, and has tried to get Congressional Hearings held on UFOs; President, Human Potential Foundation; and "point-man" for Laurence Rockefeller on UFO matters, currently tasked to contact world leaders concerning upcoming public announcements of UFO/ET reality; recently convened the May, 1995 Washington, D.C. "When Cosmic Cultures Meet International Conference".

CONDOR
Capt. Bob Collins, USAF (Ret.), Special Agent, Air Force Office of Special Investigations, engaged in UFO-related intelligence operations; reportedly appeared clandestinely on 1988 Kodak-produced network television (dis-)information program "UFO Cover-Up Live", where Collins, reportedly along with "former" CIA contract employee and current UFO-conferences disinformation lecturer, John Lear, presented accounts of alien autopsies, UFO retrievals, and the government's awareness about UFOs and ET presence.

FALCON
Sgt. Richard "Dick" Doty, USAF (Ret.), Special Agent, Air Force Office of Special Investigations, reported to have engaged in UFO disinformation projects, including reportedly hoaxing TV producer Linda Moulton Howe concerning availability of a tape showing a UFO landing at Holloman Air Force Base, NM; and of allegedly waging psychological warfare on Albuquerque defense electronics contractor Paul Bennewitz, concerning Bennewitz's electronic monitoring of UFO activity around Kirtland AFB/Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, reportedly causing/exacerbating a mental breakdown in Mr. Bennewitz. Reportedly, FALCON claims to have seen the Roswell Alien Autopsy film (shown worldwide August 28, 1995) some time ago at Los Alamos National Laboratory.

(bird-name unknown: SPARROW?)
William Moore, USAF (Ret.), Special Agent, Air Force Office of Special Investigations; prolific UFO "author"; reportedly publicly admitted at a MUFON Conference to being an Air Force Intelligence operative involved in UFO-related disinformation projects.


Quoted list from Boylan's article at:

http://www.jps.net/drboylan/aviary.htm

Tierce was roused from an otherwise pleasant sleep by the sound of nagging. Someone, somewhere -possibly far away- wanted him to do something. Something that didn't include being cozy.

Still not entirely awake but with a natural instinct to avoid work, he burrowed deeper into the covers, vaguely hoping whoever was bugging him would go away.

No such luck.

"Come on," said his older brother, Darwin. "Wake up. It's your day to take care of the birds."

Darwin tugged at the blankets. Tierce instinctively pulled the covers around himself into a defensive cocoon. Darwin tried to pull the pillows away. Teirce let them go and curled up into a little ball. When it became clear that his brother wasn't going to go without a fight, Darwin closed his eyes and counted backwards from ten.

Nine. . . eight. . . seven. . .

His left hand began to feel very cold.

Five. . . four. . .His breath came out in a fog.

Two. . .one.

He opened his eyes to find a ball of water hovering just above his palm. It morphed and spun in a way reminiscent of the 'lava' found in lava lamps. He held out his hand and the blob floated over to the bed. It hovered over where his brother's head would be.

"Last chance."

Tierce muttered something incoherent and Darwin allowed the water blob to fall.

Tierce spluttered into the waking world.

"Your turn for the birds," Darwin said again. Once he was sure his brother wasn't going to just fall back asleep, he went out into the hall. Tierce watched him sullenly before pulling off all the covers.

Jerk wet my bed, he thought.

* * * * * *

The outdoor aviary was huge. It was composed to three smaller, hexagonal and very-nearly tower-like structures connected by one large room in the middle. The roof was high – at least another story up- and the chattering of birds filled the air. He smiled. He actually liked dealing with the birds, really. He just wished he could've done it later.

Humming softly to himself, Tierce undid the latch and went to go get the seed. He filled up two large buckets with food, than went into the first tower.

Common birds looked at him from the plants and trees specially growing inside the enclosure. Pigeons and doves peeked at him from behind the smaller, urban trees as chickens clucked and swarmed around his feet. Crows called him, probably saying something terribly insulting in bird. Little finches and sparrows tweeted from their bird-boxes. The food dishes were attached all around the cage's chicken wire walls, all at varying heights. It took him a better part of twenty minutes to climb and fill them all, all while balancing the buckets precariously on the rickety, portable ladder.

That finished, he went to the next tower.

He stepped through the door and was instantly struck by the heat. Despite only having the same wire as the other tower, this one was much more humid. Tropical plants filled the structure. Huge, brilliantly colored flowers were in bloom, giant trees towered higher than should have been possible without coming anywhere near the ceiling. and colorful parrots and birds of paradise watched him as he started filling up their dishes. Like the other tower, the dishes were attached to the wire, some of them quite high up.

He was just filling up a dish near a particularly brave macaw when trouble started. Tierce grinned nervously at the bird, who was eyeing him with interest.

"Don't mind me," he said. "I just work here."

He honestly thought the macaw would try and crawl onto his shoulder when, suddenly, the room went silent. All chattering, tweeting, cawing and chirping stopped, leaving nothing but dead silence. As one, all the birds in the room fluttered into the air and headed for their specially tailored boxes and houses. The macaw flew off, slapping him with its massive wings. Tierce fell off the ladder and onto some uncomfortable prickly plants below. The half-empty buckets landed beside him, their seed raining down.

"The hell? What's gotten into-" he stopped. The distinct smell of smoke began to fill the air.

"Oh, son of a-"

He tore out of the tropical aviary and back into the main room, where the air, despite being the normal temperature, was likewise full of smoke. He looked up at the third tower. Through the chicken wire barrier, he could see thick, gray smoke rising and clogging the air.

Using words his brother didn't know he knew, Tierce filled a bucket of water from the tap and threw open the third door. This room, too, was exotic, albeit in a different way. All around him, strange and beautiful flowers were withering. A small bush beside him was aflame. He tossed the water on it, putting it out. To his left, a patch of blue bells was beginning to spark. He splashed that, too.

Something darted out of the trees and headed straight for his face. It landed against his cheek, then crawled into his hair. Tierce didn't dare stop long enough to extract it. Instead, he went on, putting out what fires he could. As he went, more and more of the tower's inhabitants clung to him, hiding in his pockets, his hair, one found its way into his shirt and watched from the safety of his collar. He didn't stop them. They were terrified. If anything, their faith in him bolstered his confidence.

Finally, he found the source of the flames.

Deep in the aviary, he came across a pile of still smoldering ash. Tentatively, he tore off a stick from a nearby bush and prodded it. Nothing happened.

"Kekekeke!"

He looked up. Above him, a bird composed entirely of flame perched on one of the branches looked down on him curiously.

He gave a sigh of relief.

"Dammit, Torch. You weren't supposed to change until next week. You could'a set the whole place on fire."

The bird shivered, its flames moving in a way reminiscent of feather-ruffling.

Tierce sighed.

"Yeah, well, just so long as you're under control, now."

The bird blinked once, then flew elegantly off into the higher levels of the aviary. Tierce made his own way back to the exit. He stopped just before the door.

"Okay, guys, come on. Everything's okay now, you can let go."

Slowly, as though they weren't sure they believes him, his hanger's on let go and began spreading back into the aviary. He smiled as the various pixies, sprites and small faeries floated off. Something tickled the back of his ear. Gently, he plucked the small fairy out of his hair and set it into the patch of blue bells. It immediately flew back and attatched itself to his shirt.

"Fine," he said, after it flew back into his hair on the third try. "Just don't cause any trouble." He went out into the second aviary to finish filling dishes.
There was work to be done.

* * * * * *

Darwin was at the kitchen table, reading the paper and drinking coffee when he came back in.

"Uh, You've got a little friend, there," he said, pointing to the fairy on Tierce's shoulder. Tierce shrugged.

"You really need to get Torch his own cage."

Darwin nodded. "I'll look in to it."

A"vi*a*ry (?), n.; pl. Aviaries (#). [L. aviarium, fr. aviarius pertaining to birds, fr. avis bird, akin to Gr, , Skr. vi.]

A house, inclosure, large cage, or other place, for keeping birds confined; a bird house.

Lincolnshire may be termed the aviary of England. Fuller.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.