The Swingfire is the anti-tank missile system used by the Striker ATGW (anti-tank guided weapon) vehicle in service with the British Army. They are manufactured by BAE Systems, and were first produced in 1967 when the need for a new specialist anti-tank platform (i.e. Striker) was identified by the British government. The missile was fully capable of destroying all known Warsaw Pact armoured vehicles and tanks during the Cold War, and remains a potent weapon. 20 Swingfire warheads, aged 20-21 years old, were lost in the Bristol Channel in late January 2003, during transit.

Costing around £7, 500 each, the Swingfire is actually much cheaper than its predicted successor: the MR (Medium Range) "Trigat". The Trigat is currently under development with several European countries, notably the UK and Germany, and is expected to cost something in the region of £25, 000 per missile by the time it enters service. The Long Range (LR) version of the Trigat may cost up to £50, 000 each if it is accepted.

BAE Systems also sold Swingfire to the Egyptian armed forces, and the missile is also in use with other nations in the Middle East. Due to its versatile nature, the missile is employed on Jeeps or other light vehicles in this area, for added mobility. These missiles can be attached to almost any vehicle, such as the backs of trucks or even cars. As well as land vehicles, variations of the Swingfire are also fitted to helicopters and ships.

Specs:

Type: Anti Tank Guided Missile, Wire Guided
Length: 1.06 m
Diameter: 37.3 cm
Weight: 37 kg
Warhead: Hollow Charge, HE (High Explosive)
Propellant: Solid fuel
Minimum Range: 150 m
Maximum Range: 4, 000 m


Source:
"The British Army: a Pocket Guide"

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.