user since
Thu Dec 9 2004 at 10:39:55 (19.3 years ago )
last seen
Fri Mar 10 2006 at 12:12:14 (18.1 years ago )
number of write-ups
4 - View Davidcannon's writeups (feed)
level / experience
0 (Initiate) / 46
mission drive within everything
To express my opinions, clearly and rationally, about political and other topics
specialties
politics, religion, history
most recent writeup
Christianity in Korea
Send private message to Davidcannon

I am a New Zealander of Maori, Scottish, and Irish origins, along with some other, more distant strains. I have been working as a self-employed language tutor for most of the past 13 years, and have also set up an (embryonic) Amway business. I am a Christian and attend the Takapuna Assembly of God, pastored by Martin Steele, on Auckland's North Shore.

I have a passion for writing. For more than two decades I have kept a diary which is more like an essay book, with my musings about a multitude of subjects - some short, many long. In the course of time, I will be uploading many of them to E2; I have made a start with Ancestralism and Cultural Prejudice as of 5 January, 2005. I have also been writing for Wikipedia for almost two years and am currently among their top 200 contributors, by number of edits. I was also a bureaucrat on HierarchyPedia, a wiki devoted to exploring the world's political, religious, economic, military, and genetic power structures, but this was shut down sometime in May for various reasons. In the past, I spent a lot of time writing essay-like posts for newsgroups, but have kicked the habit: they disappear too quickly, thereby negating the time and effort I put into them.

One size clearly doesn't fit all, and not all types of writing belong in the same forums. I see Wikipedia as a valuable educational resource in which I am privileged to have a role to play; the academic nature of those projects, along with their "Neutral Point of View" policy requires me to be as objective as possible. I like that, but I also want a forum in which I can express my own opinions, not just facts. I believe E2 is such a forum. For me, projects like Wikipedia on the one hand, and E2 on the other, are complementary.

My articles

*Ancestralism and Cultural Prejudice *The End of the Empire *Esperanto *Christianity in Korea