Rancidity is often experienced as a bitter taste or as a burning sensation at the back of the throat. Good salad oils, cooking oils (I don’t know about Mazola) and foods that contain oils, such as nuts and seeds, are subject to rancidity if stored for too long. Best to buy these from a store that turns over its inventory quickly.

This is also true of olive oil, which solidifies when refrigerated and for this reason, seldom is. Many people believe that olive oil does not go rancid. Not true. I bought several different brands of olive oil from various locations and taste-tested them. Really fresh olive oil is wonderfully nuanced in flavour. Rancid olive oil tastes flat and bitter. There is a world of difference. Have you ever bought a good brand of pesto made with olive oil and wondered why your pasta tasted really bitter?...Well, now you know why.

Nuts and seeds are particularly subject to rancidity and should be refrigerated rather than stored in a cupboard. Even bottled freeze-dried nuts have a limited storage life once they are opened. Some peanut butters are mixed with preservatives to prevent rancidity, but even those will go rancid. Kraft peanut butter has an expiry date on the label and it is worth taking the time to check that before buying it.

Just as fruition and evergreen are words that bring forth hope, there can probably be no better word for despair than rancid. The way it rolls off the tongue - you can even curl the tongue to make the initial sound - in such a burst of awfulness.

This word is so powerfully horrible that I don't really think anyone uses it in speech. They write it a lot, but when was the last time you heard someone speak of something (other than food) that was rancid?

An even more detailed account.

Rancid is the next step on the evolutionary ladder from Operation Ivy. Not to say they are better than Op Ivy. Operation Ivy consisted of some dude named Jesse on vocals, Tim Armstrong on guitar, Matt Freeman on bass, and Dave Mello on the drums. They broke up, and went their seperate ways. Reportedly, Jesse joined the peace corps. He's back though, with a new band called Common Rider. Dave went on to be in numerous other bands, and Tim and Matt went on to form Rancid.

Rancid was originally formed by Matt just to keep Tim from killing himself with drugs and alcohol. After losing the driving force in his life (Operation Ivy), Tim found solace in substance abuse. Bass wizard Matt Freeman, Tim's friend since early childhood, hated seeing his friend caught in this void of self-destruction and thus formed Rancid.

Rancid put out a bunch of albums and are often compared (always unfairly) to The Clash. Although The Clash influenced them, they really aren't anything like them. Come on, did The Clash ever play songs like "Ghetto Box" or "Axiom"? Of course not (but don't get me wrong, I love The Clash too). Anyways, Rancid has a new one out on Hellcat Records, their second self-titled to date. It's an incendiary mix of high-speed hardcore and classic street punk, and well worth your time.

NOTE: Most of this (save the last paragraph before this) was sarcastic. I love Rancid, they're probably my favorite band. They had quite a bit of mainstream success with their fantastic album ". . . And Out Come the Wolves." Their follow-up, "Life Won't Wait", was a long, much more ska-influenced epic. A lot of their fans hated it. I think it's by far their best album.
Some of the other writeups on this band are great. I just wanted to add a discography and say they kickass.

I believe the boys from Rancid started Hellcat Records. They also have ties to many bands including Operation Ivy, Dancehall Crashers, and Lars Frederiksen And The Bastards.

Rancid's discography:

albums:
Rancid (2000) -- Epitaph Records (2000)
Life Won't Wait -- Epitaph Records (1998)
...And Out Come the Wolves -- Epitaph Records (1995)
Let's Go -- Epitaph Records (1994)
s/t -- Epitaph Records (1993)
7"/singles:
Rancid (Lookout!) -- Lookout! Records (1992)
Radio, Radio, Radio -- Fat Wreck Cords (1994)
Roots Radicals -- Epitaph Records (1994)
Time Bomb -- Epitaph Records (1994)
Ruby Soho -- Epitaph Records (1996)
Bloodclot -- Epitaph Records (1998)
Hooligans -- Epitaph Records (1998)
others:
Rancid City Rockers -- Live on Saturday Night Live (1996)
BBC Radio Session 7" -- session recording made for radio (1995)
There are many Rancid bootlegs, and they have appeared on many compilations.

www.rancidrancid.com


I recently purchased the Rancid/NOFX split from BYO Records, BYO Split Series: Volume III. This is quite possibly one of the coolest albums I've heard in a while. Let's break this album down...

The liner notes are some comments by Fat Mike about how this album came about in a half-ass way. When asked to do a split for BYO he said yes, but didn't really want to do one. When asked who he'd do the split with he tried to pick a band he thought BYO would never get. So he said "If you can get Rancid we'll do the split." Lo-and-behold BYO comes through with Rancid! Now Fat Mike is in a bit of a pickle needing to do a split he really didn't want to do, but Tim Armstrong suggested they cover each other songs. Fat Mike perked up when he heard this idea.

You've got two of modern punks biggest indie bands on it. And instead of playing their own songs they are each covering six of the others. The album art is very much Rancid-style art, only a few colors, simple, and DIY, which makes for very punk & personal images. Giving the album a powerful feeling, stronger than most NOFX albums common on Rancid albums. NOFX makes their presence felt in the liner notes. Where as Rancid seems to say little outside of music and art, NOFX is very talkative. Fat Mike's comments give the album a level of personalization not often found on Rancid albums and provided in spades in NOFX albums.

That is all fine, but I bought this album for the music. First up is Rancid with covers of "Moron Bros", "Stickin in My Eye", "Bob", "Don't Call Me White", "Brews", and "Vanilla Sex". Rancid doesn't go and try to be NOFX. They take NOFX's songs and make them their own. They feel like Rancid songs when Rancid performs them. They rock these songs. I kind of wish they covered "Linoleum" also, but than that would have made half their songs from Punk In Drublic. Tim Armstrong singing "Bob" is outstanding, but Matt Freeman singing "Don't Call Me White" might possibly be the coolest thing I've ever heard. "Vanilla Sex", song by Lars and Tim I think, is another highlight of this album.

The second half of the album belongs to NOFX. They cover the songs "I'm The One", "Olympia, WA", "Tenderloin", "Antennaes", "Corozon de Oro", and "Radio". NOFX selected three songs from Let's Go, which is my favorite Rancid album, so I'm not disappointed, I'd have even liked to have heard them cover "Sidekick". On the other hand And Out Comes the Wolves has a ton of great songs on it and deserved another song in addition to "Olympia, WA". NOFX's cover of "Olympia, WA" is a highlight, they do an outstanding job on this cover. Their covers of "Tenderloin", "Antennaes", and "Corozon De Oro" are all equally impressive. I was a little disappointed by the cover of "I'm The One", which is one of my favorite Rancid, Fat Mike's voice just doesn't sound right. Finally, I'm really disappointed about the cover of "Radio". I liked NOFX's previous forays into Ska, but this, this I didn't like. I'll be nice incase the song does grow on me, but it is unlikely. For the first time I truly wish NOFX would've kept their promise about never playing a ska song again. But don't let that scare you away from this otherwise incredible album.

Rancid was formed by Tim Armstrong and Matt Freeman, both formally of Operation Ivy a ska/punk outfit.
They recruited Brett Reed on drums and recorded "Rancid" in 1993. Right before "Rancid" was released Lars Fredrikson joined the group as second guitar and vocalist.
And then with this line-up, which has yet to change, the band released "Let's Go". This album scored a mild hit on MTV called "Salvation", and then Rancid became the target of a major label war (including Madonna's Maverick label and Epic), although in the end they stayed with their original label Epitaph, mainly because, as Tim and Lars say, "it was like being in a family and we like that, you know all our friends are there, and it just seemed right". After this bidding war Rancid released "...And out come the wolves" in which Rancid showed the ska that had been in Op Ivy and slowed down the tempo from the last two albums. After several years they made the ska/reggae connection clearer with Life Won't Late, which is a very good album, even if quite a few fans didn't like it.
Then two years later in 2000 Rancid released Rancid(2000) which is a very hardcore, street punk album, which again some fans don't like.
Rancid have moved along very well, always changing, for 4 albums I'd say they've changed alot, and each change has always been very interesting.

Ran"cid (?), a. [L. rancidus, fr. rancere to be rancid or rank.]

Having a rank smell or taste, from chemical change or decomposition; musty; as, rancid oil or butter.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.