Like many things corrupted by the 20th century and the onset of rampant commercialism, the word innovate has been twisted since Microsoft decided to adopt it as a key player in their slogans - and even moreso since the onset of the Freedom to Innovate Network. Today use of the word is a mockery and often elicts a sneer from the enlightened. Remember that corrupt Senators play golf on Microsoft Astroturf.

The bitter irony of Microsoft's claims about the amazing new features in their products is that most if not all of it already exists in lesser well-known products created by rivals. Now I'm not saying that they stole it, but in many cases they sure as hell stole credit for it.

In"no*vate (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Innovated (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Innovating (?).] [L. innovatus,p.p. of innovare to revew; pref. in- in + novare to make new,fr. novus new. See New.]

1.

To bring in as new; to introduce as a novelty; as, to innovate a word or an act.

[Archaic]

2.

To change or alter by introducing something new; to remodel; to revolutionize.

[Archaic]

Burton.

From his attempts upon the civil power, he proceeds to innovate God's worship. South.

 

© Webster 1913.


In"no*vate, v. i.

To introduce novelties or changes; -- sometimes with in or on.

Bacon.

Every man,therefore,is not fit to innovate. Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.