Created in 1956 by President Dwight D. Eisenhower. Consists of highways in every state with a total of about 45,000 miles of road.

Interstate highways follow certain interstate naming rules.

The full name is the National System of Interstate and Defense Highways, which was a concept of roads as an issue of national security. In 1955, the Eisenhower administration stated "In case of atomic attack on our key cities, the road net must permit quick evacuation of target areas, mobilization of defense forces and maintenance of every essential economic function."

The Interstate System was inspired by Eisenhower's time as commander of the ETO and his experience with the German autobahn system which was also designed and implemented in order to move military forces and supplies quickly and efficiently under fire.

In reference to The_Custodian's writeup, the Eisenhower Interstate System was specifically inspired by the reichsautobahn; the highway system of Nazi Germany.

As such, the United States can add its interstate highway system to the list of American innovations and technologies derived from Nazi sources.

Here is a listing of the 1- and 2-digit US interstates, along with their associated 3-digit interstates. Note that 3-digit interstate numbers are only unique within states, so multiple highways with the same 3-digit interstate designation are quite common. For example, there are seven distinct 295's. 2-digit interstate numbers are unique nationwide, with the exceptions of 76, 84, 86, and 88.


* Indicates this is a future interstate number

Longest interstate (2-digit): I-90 – 3,085.27 mi
Shortest interstate (2-digit): I-97 – 17.57 mi
Longest interstate (3-digit): I-476 – 129.61 mi
Shortest interstate (3-digit): I-395 (Maryland) – 0.72 mi

For details about the interstate numbering system, see interstate and interstate naming rules.


I've referenced a number of varying sources, so please /msg me about any oversights or updates. Thank you.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.