user since
Fri May 26 2000 at 05:10:49 (23.9 years ago )
last seen
Sat Jul 16 2022 at 20:55:10 (1.8 years ago )
number of write-ups
138 - View Spuunbenda's writeups (feed)
level / experience
14 (Protector of the Art) / 11162
C!s spent
187
most recent writeup
SAD Graph
Send private message to Spuunbenda



I am a factual noder, or try to be. Lacking the talent for creative writing that is so well-represented here, I confine myself to the odd explication or clarification; helping, like, here and there, as the case may be.

I use E2 more than I write for it; but I vote with an eye to the ages, offer modest additions and corrections when I can, and I C! good science, biography, history, politics, technology, geography and art nodes on sight. Sorry if that's not your style.

I have essentially retired from E2. Family and job allow barely enough time to read, let alone node.
Scratch that...I just can't seem to tear myself away.

I continue to thank imaginary gods for putting all that chaos everywhere.


There is no limit to what you can accomplish if you don't care who gets the credit.
- Harry S Truman


Last 6 books read:
A Short History of Nearly Everything
Party of One
The Devil's Doctor
How to Be Idle
Confessions of an Economic Hit Man
A Year With Swollen Appendices

Last 6 films seen:
Stay
Killing Zoe
Grindhouse
The Notorious Bettie Page
The Double Life of Veronique
Primer


Writers, like teeth, are divided into grinders and incisors.
- Walter Bagehot


my nodeshells:

agribusiness
brevity is the soul of lingerie
Carol Twombly
Chou En-Lai
Doyle Dane Bernbach
driftnet
fire worship
François Rabelais
Hic Dracones
I came home today, and I opened the door with my bare hands
If cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl
iron triangle
John Henry's Rule
music is mathematics with a pulse
my god can beat up your god
Sam Peckinpah
Science Fiction Hall of Fame
tempus irae
tetrahedral kite
The waters? What waters? We're in the desert.


Since homenodes are the place for GTKY, here are some important facts about this author.

I'm a fASCIIst. • I am secretly proud of my stereo, of which the core components are older than some of the musicians I listen to. • I love listening to wind in the leaves from our back porch at night, punctuated by the occasional thunk of an apple falling onto the roof of our car. • I work in the construction trade now, which is a hell of a change from graphic design, let me tell you. Fresh air, immediate creative satisfaction, physical conditioning, clients who are actually receptive to your ideas, ironclad job security. I wouldn't have understood back when I was slinging pixels, but I like it. • I am a Foreign Service brat. I grew up in Greece, Holland, Malaysia, Iran, Virginia and California. In three months I can sound like a native in many languages, and three months after I leave it's all gone. • And while languages shaped my ear, the panoply of belief systems paraded past me shaped my cosmology. Watching Hindu penitents trudge into the monkey caves with twenty kilos of steel skewers holding up their smoking offerings made Christianity seem like a pretty bloodless flapping of gums to this ten-year old.

MBTI: INTP
color: orange
font: sans - Eurostile, serif - Benguiat
food: Irish coffee, but with bourbon
drink: water
ice cream: peach/coconut/pistachio
video game: Halo (the seer), Battlefield 2 (Seer944)
movie: Blade Runner
book: Gargantua and Pantagruel
sport: rock climbing, snorkeling
game: backgammon, paintball
artist: Vermeer, Dali, Durer
place: 40 feet underwater or 12000 feet up



I haven't any right to criticize books, and I don't do it except when I hate them. I often want to criticize Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can't conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Every time I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone. It seems a great pity that they allowed her to die a natural death.
- Mark Twain



ob dis: I bookmark things not only because I think they're wonderful (though most below are), but also to mark for later up/downvoting/C!ing, or comment, and to keep track of nodeshells.

User Bookmarks:

Sort by name Sort by date