Rebirth
One question that is often asked is, "What happens to us after death?"
According to the Buddhists, rebirth takes place at the end of this life. Buddhists regard rebirth as a fact.

Six Realms
According to Buddhism there are six different areas of rebirth; the realms of gods, the demigods, human beings, animals, hungry ghosts and the hells. The six realms of existence include three relatively happy states, and three relatively miserable states. The realms of the gods, the demigods and human beings are considered more happiness and less suffering. The realms of animals, hungry ghosts, and the hells are considered relatively miserable because living beings there suffer more from fear, hunger, thirst, heat, cold, and pain.
One can imagine what it is like in any of the groups. For instance, when one is intensely happy or totally at peace with oneself, one experience a sate similar to that of the gods. Likewise, when one is totally preoccupied with eating, sleeping and sex, one's existence is like that of the animals. Then again, when one is overwhelmed by fear and pain, or is tortured and killed in this life, one experience suffering like that of the hells.

Humans are the best
Of all the six realms, the realm of human beings is considered the best. In the realm of human beings, the conditions for attaining Nirvana are better overall. In general, in the unhappy realms(the animals, hungry ghosts and the hells), the suffering of living beings is so intense and their ignorance so great that they are unable to recognize the Truth and follow the path to attain freedom. Alternatively, living beings in the realms of the gods and demigods experience so much happiness and have so many distractions that they do no think of rebirth until is too late. Then they may be reborn in one of the lower realms of suffering. In the realm of human beings, however, people experience both happiness and suffering, and are intelligent enough to recognize the Truth and follow the path to attain freedom from the cycle of birth and death. Therefore, one is indeed fortunate to be born as a human being, and should remember that the principal cause of birth in this realm is Good Conduct.

Note that according to Buddhism that no reincarnation is permanent. Rebirth will eventually occur and a new life in a different realm will begin.