Ancient Nottingham Pub

It's called "The Sal", and you'd better never forget it.
—some local


Originally named "The Archangel Gabriele Saluting the Virgin Mary", The Salutation Inn is reputed to be one of the oldest pubs in England. Situated a hundred yards from Nottingham Castle, Brewhouse Yard and Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem, it dates from the 15th Century, and boasts a fine sandstone cave system (as do many local buildings) which serves as its beer cellar among other things. The caves may have been a dwelling dating from the 12th Century, as many early buildings in Nottingham were cut into the soft Bunter sandstone.

Located in one of the oldest parts of Nottingham, the inn stood between Hounds Gate and Jews Lane and now faces Maid Marian Way. Until recently "The Sal" was surrounded by buildings of similar age - now all that remains is the Royal Children, the pub next door. The remainder of the buildings (including the removal of many old streets) were demolished in the 1960s during the savagely destructive modernisation of Nottingham.

The name derives from the salutation "Ave Maria, plene gratia," given by the Archangel Gabriel to the Blessed Virgin Mary, and there is a possibility that the inn may have been associated with one of the friaries in Nottingham - one Franciscan, one Carmelite. It is also reputed to have been a recruiting station for Cromwell's army during the English Civil War, and at one time, a brothel.

The pub has thankfully escaped the worst ravages of pub modernisation - flagstones on the floor complement an ancient fireplace, and there are many interesting corners and snugs in which the clientele can quaff the fine real ales served there. The upstairs was, until very recently, a biker bar, one which had a very strict dress code - leathers had to be worn to gain entrance!

The highwayman Dick Turpin is alleged to have had a hideout in the cellars,and was supposedly arrested there. Finally, it is alleged that the pub is haunted by many ghosts, including that of a previous landlord, who supposedly poisoned himself by mistake, and also by a highwayman wielding guns! The caves making up the extensive cellars have frequent 'Ghost Walks', allegedly not for the faint of heart.

Damn, I miss this place. Good beers, great atmosphere and a wonderful history. Pubs, man, I do love a good pub.