Mr. Smith is telling me about his daughter's addiction to meth when the commotion starts.

He doesn't seem to notice. I ignore sirens because the fire house is 6 blocks up the street, but I hear hooves. And people in the waiting room. Loud.

And Mr. Smith.... appears to be frozen mid-sentence. Uh-oh.

I am not frozen. I open the exam room door.

Artemis is there. Breastplate, feather headdress, inlaid turkish recurve bow, and she is not wearing a lady like toga. She is wearing armour. She is grinning at me.

There are lots of people milling around the exam room. Horses outside. I suspect 200. Or more.

"Quaaludes." says Artemis.

"Ok." I say. "Um." I am thinking about the DEA. I get my paper prescription pad. Controlled substance, of course.

"We're going to do a little pillaging." says Artemis. "Kind of like date rape. Only in reverse."

"Happy to help." I say. "Uh, Bill?"

Artemis grins. "Well, he's not the only one. You'd... well, you probably wouldn't be surprised, would you."

"No," I say grimly. There are men in the waiting room too. That's a bit of a surprise. I know two of them. Attended their funerals. Aids.

"I need enough for all 200 to.... well, discourage date rape and Cosbying."

"So 600? Or 1000?" The DEA will throw me in jail. I write the prescription. Artemis touches it and it blooms in her hand, to 200 prescriptions.

"Don't worry. The pharmacy is in Hades. The earthly DEA won't have a problem."

My receptionist is frozen too. I nod towards Artemis's band. "I thought it was virgins?"

"We were all virgins once," says Artemis, fierce. I can't argue with that. She smiles again. "Thank you. We are going to have some fun. Sweet sweet revenge."

I don't really want details. My imagination is way too active. "Blessings." I say.

"You too." She turns, holding up the prescriptions. "Mount up!" Two women are riding velociraptors. Some of the horses have wings and other have horns. Three glow red and breathe fire. Some people are riding stags. They all have bows.

"You do need a bow." says Artemis, looking back at me. "You're a good shot."

"Ok," I say. I watch them leave in the air. The air starts looking a little thick and I go back in the room with Mr. Smith. I return to my position as best I can remember and then...

Mr. Smith is talking again.

In the Nodes of Madness: The 2015 Halloween Horrorquest

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.