Go-Daigo (1288-1339) was the Emperor of Japan from 1318-1336, and had superseded Emperor Hanazono. Go-Daigo led the Kemmu Restoration, which attempted to bring down the current shogunate government, and return Japan to imperial rule. This decision was a logical one for Go-Daigo since he was the junior of two imperial lines (the Jimyoin and Dakakuji). He rose to become Emperor in 1318, and continued to plot against the shogun. Both 1324, and 1331 marked failed attempts at betrayal towards the Hojo clan, which led to Go-Daigo's escape from Kyoto, and eventual banishment to the Oki Islands.

In 1333, Go-Daigo, with the help of Ashikaga Takauji (a traitor to the Kamakura bakufu) and his forces, was able to overthrow the Kamakura shogunate. However, in 1335, Takauji betrayed Go-Daigo, proclaimed himself the new shogun, captured the capital city of Kyoto, and appointed a new emperor that he could easily control. It was not long after that until Go-Daigo fled to the Yoshino Mountains, where he lived out the rest of his days. Go-Daigo's successor was Go-Murakami.

http://www.compsoc.net/~gemini/simons/historyweb/go-daigo.html
http://www.historytoday.com/index.cfm?articleid=1699

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.