The Freedom of Information Act is a powerful thing. If you've ever wanted to know just what those guvmint bastards have on you, anyway, here's your chance. Just fill in the italics in this form letter with the appropriate information, get your signature notarized, send it off, and you're in business!

This should be free, though if your search returns reams of information, you may be charged 5 cents per page in duplication fees. The law says that your request must be responded to within 10 days, but you can expect something closer to 2 or 3 months for a definitive answer with the current backlog of paperwork.




Your Name                          Today's Date
Your Address
Line 2 of Your Address


Federal Bureau of Investigation
Records Resources Division - Attn.: FOIA/PA Office
J. Edgar Hoover Building
9th & Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20535

This is a request for records under both the Privacy Act and the Freedom of Information Act.

I request a copy of any and all records at the FBI that mention me, such as documents, reports, memoranda, letters, electronic files, "See Also" files, "Do Not File" files, "Official & Confidential" files, "Personal & Confidential" files, photographs, audio tapes & videotapes, electronic or microphone surveillance (ELSUR or MISUR), or photographic surveillance, "June mail", "Obscene" Files, "Subversive" Indexes, bulkies, mail covers, trash covers; and any index citations relating to me or referencing me ("see also") in other files. Please search all your indexes, and interpret this request broadly. This should include an ELSUR search. I also request a copy of the "FOIA Search Slip" generated as a result of this request.

My full name is: Your Name. My date of birth is: Your Date of Birth. My place of birth is: Your Place of Birth. Optional: My social security number is: Your SSN.

FOIA/PA statutes provide that even if some of the requested material is properly exempt from mandatory disclosure, all segregable portions must be released. If the requested material is released with deletions, please mark each deletion to indicate the exemption(s) being claimed to authorize each particular withholding. In addition, I ask that your agency exercise its discretion to release records which may be technically exempt, but where withholding serves no important public interest.

I hereby agree to pay reasonable costs associated with this request up to a maximum of $30. Please notify me if the fees are expected to exceed this amount. I am aware that this request may take slightly longer than the time limit of 10 working days provided by law.

Sincerely,
Your Signature

Your Printed Name

Notary Stamp and Signature

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.