Peacefulness. I like to think that his final moment was one of peacefulness. I remember being taught that his species had always sought for it, or at least pretended to, but that they had never been able to capture it for very long before it would slip from their grasp again.

By the time we reached the male specimen he was dead. He seemed to have managed to move himself into a position facing the window, his eyes pointed directly up at the sky. From there he would have had a clear view of two of the five ageing stars dancing in eachother's gravity around him.

When we reached the craft we saw that it was clearly built to withstand high temperatures, but it had never stood a chance against the strength of the gravity. While the core frame had mostly held its shape, the structure around it had warped, breaking open the craft as it touched down. His suit had withstood the depressurization and heat but his unprotected human body had never stood a chance against the gravity. He was doomed as soon as he entered the gravity-bound star cluster itself. It is a credit to the human craft's designers that a primitive AI system on such a basic, ancient craft was able to make any kind of landing at all under those conditions.

By chance, the human ship's arrival coincided with the impending deaths of two of a particularly unique star system's main stars, so there were many observers in the area at the time. Most did not believe the story at first. The stories of Human Beings were just the stuff of history lessons, children's books and cautionary tales. Experts later confirmed that the specimen was no hoax.

The council suspected that the craft was most likely a long distance travel project that, instead of slowing down at Sol 4, had accelerated and continued to do so for eons until the propulsion system had cut out. Eventually being drawn in from afar by the gravity of the tight, five star cluster, a solar powered system on board must have woken the specimen and brought it out of it's cryonic state as it guided itself towards the nearest planetoid that it could detect. Unfortunately for the Human, the system simply was not advanced enough to calculate gravity or even look for risk factors.

No experts have ever agreed upon why human behaviour was so unique among civilizations, and there were only wild guesses made as to how they had developed the technology to destroy themselves in just the few hundred years that we had glanced away. Somehow, though, thousands of years later and light years from their home planet, on a small planetoid
being pulled apart by five dying stars, we were there to witness the death of the last of their species. I do not know whether he found peace in those final moments, but I know that when the last human being took his final breath, he did so bathed in warm starlight. And he was not alone.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.