Lärabar is a brand of energy bar, whose claim to fame is that every bar contains as few as 2 ingredients, and no more than 9, all of which are either fruits, nuts, or natural spices. This allows the bars to be advertised as everything-free - gluten free, dairy free, soy free, vegan, and kosher.

But despite the limited palette of ingredients, the brand is able to offer a wide variety of flavors such as "Apple Pie," "Banana Bread," "Blueberry Muffin," "Carrot Cake," "Cherry Pie," and "Key Lime Pie." The first two ingredients in almost all of these bars are dates, and cashews.

Overall, these bars are quite tasty, and it is impressive how diverse the flavors are given the paucity and healthfulness of the ingredients. However, the premium ingredients mean that these bars are quite expensive - more than a dollar each for each 3x1 inch bar. It's also worth noting that since there is so much concentrated fruit in these bars (and in some cases, chocolate), they are loaded with sugar, although that may be part of what people want in a quick pick-me-up energy bar offering.

Lärabar was founded in 2003 by a Denver resident named Lara Merriken, who claimed she thought of the idea while hiking in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado. In 2008 the company was acquired by General Mills.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.