Among the great maestros of Hindustani classical music to enriching the soul of nature, brightening the face of mother land and strengthening the cultural heritage of the country Pandit Kamal Mallick, a disciple of 'Maihar' gharana is the great one. His hypnotizing performances in Sarode could win the hearts of audience everywhere of the world.His heart touching mannerism and the transcendental style of teaching made a great number of disciples who have been highly praised in the country and abroad.

On the 19th day of April in the year 1934 Panditji was born in a musical environment in Shibpur, Howrah. His father was Late Satyacharan Mallick and mother Late Giribala Devi. He entered in the musical world through 'sitar' by holding the hand of his elder brother Late Dibakar Mallick at the age of 8 years. Afterwards he became efficient enough in playing another instrument 'mandolin' and also passed in the Audition test of 'All India Radio'. In that time he became a very popular artist of mandolin, but the artistry of Pandit Kamal Mallick was first discovered by the renowned Tabaliya Pandit Manik Paul, by whose suggestion and the initiation of his father he started his 'Taalim' under the famous Sarodiya Sangeetacharya Shyam Gngopadhyay and within a short period he could show his extraordinary talent in sarode.

In the year 1959, he stood first in All India RadioMusic Competition and was awarded the Gold medal from the President of Republic of India Dr. Rajendra Prasad . He was fortunate enough to be the disciple of the internationally famous Sarode personality Ustad Ali Akbar Khan . He took Taalim of gayaki in instrumental music from Pandit Narayan Rao Joshi, the famous kheyalist of Kirana Ghrana. He was the first class regular artist of 'All India Radio' and television and ex-Professor of Rabindra Bharati University.

Performances:

1. 'Sarode Utsav' of Hafiz Ali Khan Society, New Delhi
2. Sangeet Sammelan of R.I.M.P.A.
3. Jadubhatta Sangeet Sammelan
4. Sadarang Sangeet Sammelan
5. Tansen Sangeet Sammelan
6. Doverlane Music Conference and many more.

Out side India, he represented his country in Europe and Africa in the years 1980, 1983, 1985, and 1988 and obtained love and respect from numerous fascinated audiences. Santipur Sangeet Samaj honoured him by presnting the title 'Pandit' and Ramakrishna Vivekananda Ashrama of Howrah by 'Sister Nivedita' Award. By the inspiration of this great maestro, his Disciple Sangeetratna Dr. Sinchan Das is successfully introduced a new era in the Hindustani Classical Music.


Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.