Games Workshop's Cash cow. A rhino is a (now implausably small for 40k) APC model, made from four plastic sprues. One sprue contains the parts to make one of the track assemblies at the side, The other makes half the central body. A rhino is made up of two of each sprue. As can be expected, both the tracks and the body are symmetrical, but they come with some bitz to disguise this (Different types of armour plate, headlights, exhausts, a cow-catcher, etc.) There is quite a bit of freedom in the posing of the design, and the hatches can be cut down the middle and stuck on in the open position.

This was the first plastic tank GW designed, and it is still in production (styrene molds last almost forever) Initially, you could pick up a box of three rhinos for a fiver. Now they're about 15 quid each. (see GW miniature prices)

Not to let a good thing go to waste, GW has made umpteen rhino variants (or Plastic Rhinos with some bits to stick on them), which go for a ridiculous markup. Initially, in the good old days, there was the predator, which came with an extended body sprue with a big gun to put on top, and some guns for the sides. They came two to a box.

Then came the grand old tradition of making the parts out of lead, and releasing a new model every time sales drop off. Such variants include:

Razorback - A rhino with less guns than a predator
Predator - A new lead predator with the gun at the front. Looks stupid. Putting the gun on the back makes it fall over.
Vindicator - Rhino with a big gun on the front.

Of course, because rhinos appeared in epic, there are other variants that GW never made a 40k-sized model for, but pretty standard conversions exist, including:
Vindicator - Much cheaper than GW's version, a rhino with a smarties tube sticking out the front.
Sabre - A rhino with a smaller gun than the vindicator sticking out of only one of the two front panels.
Tech-priest rhino - A rhino with a giant grabby arm on it. Appeared in the citadel journal, and much copied.

Apparently there is a new razorback model, but I haven't seen it yet.

2002 - There is now a new version of the rhino, more appropriately sized, and for once they've managed to modernize it without completely destroying the original design (as they did with the warlord titan, great gargant, the entire line of Daemons, and the entire Tyranid race). The new rhino looks almost identical, but slightly boxier, with more detailed moulding, and more realistic tracks. Good job!
A villain published by Marvel Comics. The Rhino first appeared in Amazing Spider-Man #41 in 1966.

Alex O'Hirn was a small time crook with lots of muscle and little on his mind. He had fallen in with a bad crowd and was employed by several New York gangs as hired muscle. That was until he was approached by a group of ambitious criminals with a plan to create a super-powered enforcer.

The group selected O'Hirn because of his superior strength and substandard brains, thinking that he would be easily manipulated. O'Hirn agreed to take part in their schemes and was subjected to a number of experimental treatments to boost his strength to super-human levels. O'Hirn was then outfitted with a tight fitting suit of extremely durable grey material that deflected bullets and allowed O'Hirn to use his strength without fear of physical injury. Finally, the suit was equipped with a horn on the head, giving O'Hirn the appearance of a rhinoceros, and was dubbed the Rhino.

The first mission for the new enforcer was to kidnap the son of newspaper publisher J. Jonah Jameson and hold him for ransom. The Rhino decided that he was uninterested in splitting the money from the crime and turned on the group that gave him his powers. He then attempted to kidnap John Jameson, but ran afoul of Spider-man. The two fought and the Rhino was defeated and sent to jail, where his strength was kept in check by keeping him sedated.

Eventually, the Rhino escaped and fought again with Spider-man, the two becoming regular foes. The Rhino later had his strength boosted by the Leader and fought the Incredible Hulk. He was defeated and soon found that his costume had been afixed to his skin so that he could not remove it. Fearing that he would forever be stuck with this freakish appearance (not to mention the hygenic issues of being trapped in a one piece outfit), he sought help in removing the suit, during which time he clashed with Ben Grimm, also known as the Thing.

The Rhino eventually had the suit successfully removed, but commissioned another from master criminal Justin Hammer. The new suit was superior to his original and O'Hirn continues to use it to this day.

Rhi*no (?), n. [Etymol. uncertain.]

Gold and silver, or money.

[Cant]

W. Wagstaffe.

As long as the rhino lasted. Marryat.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.