Also, a very excellent habanero pepper liqueur made by Niall, the smallest stick-jock in the Outlands. If you're going to drink Scorn, the author suggests keeping a beer and a slab of bread nearby, as a sip of this terrifying liquid will sear your throat and cause your lips to go numb. Truly an excellent drink.

Scorn (?), n. [OE. scorn, scarn, scharn, OF. escarn, escharn, eschar, of German origin; cf. OHG. skern mockery, skernn to mock; but cf. also OF. escorner to mock.]

1.

Extreme and lofty contempt; haughty disregard; that disdain which aprings from the opinion of the utter meanness and unworthiness of an object.

Scorn at first makes after love the more. Shak.

And wandered backward as in scorn, To wait an aeon to be born. Emerson.

2.

An act or expression of extreme contempt.

Every sullen frown and bitter scorn But fanned the fuel that too fast did burn. Dryden.

3.

An object of extreme disdain, contempt, or derision.

Thou makest us a reproach to our neighbors, a scorn and a derision to them that are round about us. Ps. xliv. 13.

To think scorn, to regard as worthy of scorn or contempt; to disdain. "He thought scorn to lay hands on Mordecai alone." Esther iii. 6. -- To laugh to scorn, to deride; to make a mock of; to redicule as contemptible.

Syn. -- Contempt; disdain; derision; contumely; despite; slight; dishonor; mockery.

 

© Webster 1913.


Scorn, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Scorned (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Scoring.] [OE. scornen, scarnen, schornen, OF. escarning, escharnir. See Scorn, n.]

1.

To hold in extreme contempt; to reject as unworthy of regard; to despise; to contemn; to disdain.

I scorn thy meat; 't would choke me. Shak.

This my long sufference, and my day of grace, Those who neglect and scorn shall never taste. Milton.

We scorn what is in itself contemptible or disgraceful. C. J. Smith.

2.

To treat with extreme contempt; to make the object of insult; to mock; to scoff at; to deride.

His fellow, that lay by his bed's side, Gan for to laugh, and scorned him full fast. Chaucer.

To taunt and scorn you thus opprobriously. Shak.

Syn. -- To contemn; despise; disdain. See Contemn.

 

© Webster 1913.


Scorn (?), v. i.

To scoff; to act disdainfully.

He said mine eyes were black and my hair black, And, now I remembered, scorned at me. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.