The fruit (not the computer) is traditionally a symbol of love.
(although i suppose putting up with a SO's apple computer habit while one is a pc user is *also* a symbol of love)
But both in mythology and "herbology" (althogh plant lore is the better phrase here) the apple fruit stands for love. An apple bough hung above a doorframe is supposed to bring peace and love into a house and bless the couple.

A very simple love spell that is supposed to strengthen the bond between a couple is this: (NOTE: it must be done between a pre-existing couple or two people who *want* to be a couple and both parties must know its intent, or this enters the VERY dangerous realm of manipulative magic)
Take a red apple (any variety) and cut it in half *crosswise*--aka not from top to bottom but across the width of the apple. This leaves two halves of the apple, each with a star formed in the center by the seed (symbolically a pentagram/pentacle). Each partner should eat half this apple, or better and stronger and more powerful feed the half to the other.

As Wuukiee stated, if an apple is cut in half, crosswise, the seeds resemble a star; a five-point star. In Christian symbolism a five-point star represents the Star of Bethlehem. Five points also represents the Crucifixion.

The symbolism of an apple links the Old Testament of the Bible to the New Testament; original sin, to the birth of Jesus, to forgiveness of sins.

. . .

The apple is also a symbol for knowledge... it's amusing that, on the first day of school, children in elementary school give their teacher an apple, and not the other way around.

The Apple Tree: It might live for over 100 years and grow to over 40 feet.

The apple is a very popular fruit. So popular, in fact, that some believe that Adam and Eve ate an apple against God's express orders. If they did, it was a very bitter apple -- prehistoric apples were not all that great; in fact, they were very sour. I will now proceed to barrage you with a bushel of apple facts.

The symbolness of apples

An apple is not only a symbol with many meanings such as love and health, but it also enjoys a special position as a symbol of symbols.

We are more likely to use an apple than any other fruit when we try to exemplify a concept that require some concrete object which really does not need to be specified, but we do so anyway just because it is simpler to give an example and move out of the realm of the abstract.

Newton's apple is one example of the 'symbolness' of apples: any object would do, but the familiarity of the apple makes the concept of gravity easier to understand.

Domain Eukarya
Kingdom Plantae
Division Magnoliophyta
Class Magnoliopsida
Order Rosales
Family Rosaceae
Subfamily Maloideae
Genus Malus

Red, yellow, green, or some combination thereof, with a greenish or yellowish white flesh, apples are one of the world's most widely cultivated fruits. All of the 30-35 species belonging to the genus malus are properly termed apples, but all table apples belong to a single species, malus domestica, of which there are approximately 10,000 known cultivars. The other species are often known as crabapples.

Apples are classified as one of the pome (fleshy) fruits, in which the ripened ovary and surrounding tissue both become fleshy and edible. Apple varieties range in flavor from very tart to very sweet, with different cultures favoring different flavors. Americans generally favor mildly tart to mildly sweet apples, while Asian peoples generally favor very sweet or very mild flavors, and some European cultures favor very tart flavors.

Uses

Table apples have a wide variety of uses. About 50 percent of the world apple crop is eaten as fresh fruit, but apples are also used to make juice, cider, jelly, jam, apple butter, applesauce, and hard liquors such as Applejack. Apples are commonly found as fillings in desserts such as pies, tarts, cobblers, crisps, crumble cakes, danishes, and strudels. In addition, scraps from apple processing are often used to make vinegar and pectin.

Apples are often touted for their health benefits, as in the proverb, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away." Apples do indeed provide great nutritional value, serving as an excellent source of vitamins A and C and dietary fiber. Studies have shown that eating apples often can reduce the risk of heart disease and many types of cancers, and also helps control cholesterol levels.

Crabapples are only rarely eaten due to their extreme acidity, but make excellent jellies and tarts, and are sometimes cultivated for the beauty of their blossoms. The wood of most apple trees is useful for making tasteful hardwood furniture, and also makes serviceable firewood.

History and Culture

Apparently native to the Caucasus region of western Asia, apples may well have been the earliest tree fruit to be domesticated, and has been in constant cultivation since prehistoric times. Because they store well, apples have long been an important winter fruit in Europe and Asia, and are mentioned in many of the earliest known myths of humanity, including the Bible and Homer. Different varieties of apples were already being bred by the Greeks more than 2,000 years ago, and by the 1400s several hundreds of varieties were already known in Europe. Apples were brought to north America with the European settlement of the New World and quickly found an ideal growing climate in the temperate zones of what is now the northern United States and southern Canada. In recent years, apples have also been found to flourish particularly well in New Zealand.

Apples have served as an important cultural symbol and mythic element in many societies. In Genesis 3, the forbidden fruit from the Tree of Life eaten by Adam and Eve was an apple, as was the Apple of Discord, inscribed by the goddess Eris with the word Kallisti ("To the fairest"), which brought about the Trojan War in Homer's Illiad. One of the Twelve Labors of Hercules was to find the golden apples of the Hesperides. In Norse mythology, Idun was the keeper of "apples of immortality" which kept the gods of Valhalla forever young. In later years, Swiss patriot William Tell famously shot an apple off the head of his young son with a crossbow, and Isaac Newton is alleged to have discovered gravity when an apple fell on his head. In the America, apple pie is a favorite dish, leading to the saying "As American as apple pie" and Johnny Appleseed is a celebrated folk hero for planting apple seedlings across Ohio and Indiana.

Apples are associated with numerous symbolic meanings, including love, lust, sin, fertility, sexuality, knowledge, health, and peace. For example, apples are eaten on the Jewish new year of Rosh Hashanah to symbolize a sweet new year. Danish folklore says that apples wither around adulterers. Eating apples is often said to help increase a woman's chances of conception or remove blemishes from the skin. Displaying apple branches above one's door or in one's home is said to insure peace and health and ward off evil. In the United States, the apple is a traditional gift for a teacher.

Growing Apples

Apples require a period of dormancy, and thus grow best in regions with a distinct winter, usually in areas between 30° and 60° latitude, either north or south. Apple orchards are best placed on the tops of rolling hills. This allows cool air and moisture to sink away from the trees on cold winter nights, preventing the blossoms or young fruits from being destroyed by frost.

Pollen management is an important aspect of apple orchard design, as apples cannot self-pollinate and must rely on cross pollination. Some apple varieties do not produce enough pollen, and must be interspersed with other varieties that generate high pollen yields. Apple trees are especially reliant upon insect pollinators, and bees may need to be brought in during pollination season if local bees prove insufficient.

Apples are difficult to grow organically, because they are susceptible to numerous pests and diseases, including fungal menaces such as Gymnosporangium rust, apple scab, and black spot, the bacterial disease fireblight, and insect pests such as the plum curlico, the apple maggot, and the codling moth. In recent years however, some organic farms have had success growing especially disease and pest resistant cultivars.

Breeding new apple trees is challenging, but also fun and interesting, often involving luck or chance. The vast majority of new trees are produced by grafting, with the occasional tree produced by budding. Budding is especially interesting because it sometimes produces apples quite different from the parent tree. It is comparatively difficult to grow apple trees from seeds, although this sometimes happens by accident. Most new varieties of apples are produced from seedlings, many of which were found by chance. Recently, efforts to crossbreed malus domestica with other apple species has increased the promise of developing hardy new species resistant to disease or able to be grown in warmer climes.

Apple, you are the color of a rose,
And you hide the shade of good, healthy grass.
Apple, though your peel is red, I suppose
Your insides green, by my nose’s report crass.

Are you not full of worms, my dear apple?
I suspect that they thrive under your skin,
Taking you apart with many mouths’ pull,
And breeding and birthing their wormy kin.

But look how hungry I am, dear apple.
I have not eaten in so many days.
My once-strong arms are becoming supple,
And my mind is dissolving in a haze.

Therefore, apple, I pray to the good Lord,
And take a bite, hoping my prayer was heard.

Ap"ple (#), n. [OE. appel, eppel, AS. aeppel, aepl; akin to Fries. & D. appel, OHG, aphul, aphol, G. apfel, Icel. epli, Sw. aple, Dan. aeble, Gael. ubhall, W. afal, Arm. aval, Lith. oblys, Russ. iabloko; of unknown origin.]

1.

The fleshy pome or fruit of a rosaceous tree (Pyrus malus) cultivated in numberless varieties in the temperate zones.

⇒ The European crab apple is supposed to be the original kind, from which all others have sprung.

2. bot.

Any tree genus Pyrus which has the stalk sunken into the base of the fruit; an apple tree.

3.

Any fruit or other vegetable production resembling, or supposed to resemble, the apple; as, apple of love, or love apple (a tomato), balsam apple, egg apple, oak apple.

4.

Anything round like an apple; as, an apple of gold.

Apple is used either adjectively or in combination; as, apple paper or apple-paper, apple-shaped, apple blossom, apple dumpling, apple pudding.

Apple blight, an aphid which injures apple trees. See Blight, n. -- Apple borer Zool., a coleopterous insect (Saperda candida or bivittata), the larva of which bores into the trunk of the apple tree and pear tree. -- Apple brandy, brandy made from apples. -- Apple butter, a sauce made of apples stewed down in cider. Bartlett. -- Apple corer, an instrument for removing the cores from apples. -- Apple fly Zool., any dipterous insect, the larva of which burrows in apples. Apple flies belong to the genera Drosophila and Trypeta. -- Apple midge Zool. a small dipterous insect (Sciara mali), the larva of which bores in apples. -- Apple of the eye, the pupil. -- Apple of discord, a subject of contention and envy, so called from the mythological golden apple, inscribed "For the fairest," which was thrown into an assembly of the gods by Eris, the goddess of discord. It was contended for by Juno, Minerva, and Venus, and was adjudged to the latter. -- Apple of love, or Love apple, the tomato (Lycopersicum esculentum). -- Apple of Peru, a large coarse herb (Nicandra physaloides) bearing pale blue flowers, and a bladderlike fruit inclosing a dry berry. -- Apples of Sodom, a fruit described by ancient writers as externally of air appearance but dissolving into smoke and ashes plucked; Dead Sea apples. The name is often given to the fruit of Solanum Sodomaeum, a prickly shrub with fruit not unlike a small yellow tomato. -- Apple sauce, stewed apples. [U. S.] -- Apple snail or Apple shell Zool., a fresh-water, operculated, spiral shell of the genus Ampullaria. -- Apple tart, a tart containing apples. -- Apple tree, a tree naturally bears apples. See Apple, 2. -- Apple wine, cider. -- Apple worm Zool., the larva of a small moth (Carpocapsa pomonella) which burrows in the interior of apples. See Codling moth. -- Dead Sea Apple. (a) pl. Apples of Sodom. Also Fig. "To seek the Dead Sea apples of politics." S. B. Griffin. (b) A kind of gallnut coming from Arabia. See Gallnut.

© Webster 1913.


Ap"ple (#), v. i.

To grow like an apple; to bear apples.

Holland.

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.