Ap*proach", v. i. [imp. & p. p. Approached; p. pr. & vb. n. Approaching.] [OE. approchen, aprochen, OF. approcher, LL. appropriare, fr. L. ad + propiare to draw near, prope near.]

1.

To come or go near, in place or time; to draw nigh; to advance nearer.

Wherefore approached ye so nigh unto the city?
2 Sam. xi. 20.

But exhorting one another; and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
Heb. x. 25.

2.

To draw near, in a figurative sense; to make advances; to approximate; as, he approaches to the character of the ablest statesman.

 

© Webster 1913


Ap*proach", v. t.

1.

To bring near; to cause to draw near; to advance. [Archaic] Boyle.

2.

To come near to in place, time, or character; to draw nearer to; as, to approach the city; to approach my cabin; he approached the age of manhood.

He was an admirable poet, and thought even to have approached Homer.
Temple.

3. (Mil.)

To take approaches to.

 

© Webster 1913


Ap*proach", n. [Cf. F. approche. See Approach, v. i.]

1.

The act of drawing near; a coming or advancing near. "The approach of summer." Horsley.

A nearer approach to the human type.
Owen.

2.

A access, or opportunity of drawing near.

The approach to kings and principal persons.
Bacon.

3. pl.

Movements to gain favor; advances.

4.

A way, passage, or avenue by which a place or buildings can be approached; an access. Macaulay.

5. pl. (Fort.)

The advanced works, trenches, or covered roads made by besiegers in their advances toward a fortress or military post.

6. (Hort.)

See Approaching.

 

© Webster 1913


Ap*proach", n. (Golf)

A stroke whose object is to land the ball on the putting green. It is made with an iron club.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.