Assault was a popular 1988 arcade game that was distributed by Atari Games in the United States. This title was sold by Namco in some countries, and they were the ones who actually developed it.

Assault was a tank simulation that was very ahead of its time. Your tank stayed in the center of the screen, and the rest of the game world moved around you. Very few games in the 80s had full sprite rotation like this game did, and even it had to use special hardware to be able to do it. Nothing else was able to match these effects until the Super Nintendo came along and gave the world mode 7 graphics, but even mode 7 could not compare to the liquid smooth rotation effects that Assault had.

The gameplay itself was decent, similar to Vindicators and other tank games. You really just drove your tank around blasting at other tanks. There are eleven levels in total, but most people never saw more than the first few levels. One trick worth mentioning is to position your tank right at the spot that ends the level, and then simply wait, don't actually finish until the moment the clock counts down to zero. If you do this correctly you will end up with a lot of bonus points. Of course if you fail, you will die and lose a tank.

The Assault dedicated cabinet is a real favorite among arcade game collectors. This is probably due to its unique shape, and nonstandard controls. The Assault cabinet was very narrow, the vertical open frame monitor barely fit between the sides of the thing, which were less than 18 inches apart. A standard arcade cabinet is about 23 inches wide if it is an older style one, or 30 inches wide for one of the newer deluxe cabinet styles. So Assault was very narrow, probably the narrowest game ever made. The top half of the cabinet is decorated with sideart that is supposed to resemble the outside of a yellow tank, and these same graphics carry over the the monitor bezel and control panel as well. The control panel was the other unique thing about Assault, because it featured a pair of large 4-Way trigger style "Tank" joysticks that were unique to this title. They were also wired up to the JAMMA harness in a nonstandard manner as well. These joysticks usually require custom repair, and no one makes them any more. Equivalent sticks are available, but they are much smaller, and would ruin the feel of the game. Controlling your tank with a pair of tiny joysticks just wouldn't compare to grabbing a big solid set of tank controls.

This title was later followed up by Assault Plus, which was more of an upgrade than a new game. Assault Plus was available only in Japan, but you can convert your Assault boardset by burning two new EPROM chips. This adds a few features that were not in the original, including cocktail installation support.

This game is emulated perfectly by MAME, but you may have a hard time controlling it correctly, as you need a pair of 4-Way joysticks and at least one fire button to control this game perfectly. You can get a decent simulation of the original controls by mapping the left and right sticks together to a single stick on the MAME menu, but that wasn't how the game was designed to be played.

My Assault machine

I purchased my Assault machine at an amusement industry auction for $150. It had NOS control sticks installed in it, but one of them wouldn't go left. After I got it home I realized that the problem with the stick was that the left switch wasn't grounded on one side. I fixed that, and now it is working perfectly.


There is also another unrelated game with this same title.

Atari 2600 Game
Produced by: Bomb
Model Number: ca281
Year of Release: 1983
Atari Rarity Guide: 9 Extremely Rare

This is the first, (and best), game ever released by Bomb. You will probably never see a copy of it outside of Europe. The European copies are also kind of difficult to locate.

To imagine this game just think Space Invaders with much bigger enemies, (and a lot less of them). A large mothership at the top of the screen drops a continous stream of baddies, that you have to shoot. That is exactly what it is like.

This game is fun much in the same way Space Invaders is, simplicity. It is fairly valuable due to its rarity. Expect to pay over $120 for a copy of this, without the box or manual.

Assault is the crime of violence against another person. In some jurisdictions (e.g. England or Australia), assault is used to refer to the actual violence, while in other jurisdictions (e.g. some in the United States), assault refers only to the threat of violence, while the actual violence is battery. Simple assaults do not involve weapons; aggravated assaults do.

Assault is often defined to include not only violence, but any physical contact with another person without their consent. When assault is defined like this, exceptions are provided to cover such things as normal social intercourse (for example, patting someone on the back).

In some jurisdictions, consent is a defence to assault, while in other jurisdictions (most notably England) it is not. This can have important consequences when dealing with issues such as sadomasochistic sexual activity. In England, several men have been successfully convicted of assault for engaging in sadomasochistic activities, even though the activity was consensual.

See also: affray, gay-bashing


http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault
www.wikipedia.org
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.

Tortious Assault

In order to successfully sue for the tort of assault, you must meet several factors.

  1. It must be a volitional and
  2. intentional act that causes
    • Intent to cause the tort, or
    • A substantial certainty that the tort would occur.
    • Note: Intent for the consequences is irrelevant, all that is required is intent for the contact..
  3. The apprehension
    • The apprehension must be reasonable to an average person.
    • You do not need to be afraid or intimidated, all you need to have is apprehension.
    • Actual ability to inflict a battery is not necessary, only the apparent ability to inflict the battery is required.
  4. Of an immediate battery.
    • There must be immediacy. Apprehension of a battery in the future is not actionable.
    • Words are not enough, there must be physical conduct such as the shaking of a fist.

Note: This is one of the original common law torts. Because of that the Transferred Intent doctrine applies. If you only intend to assault a person but accidentally batter the person, the intent to cause the assault will transfer to the battery through the doctrine of Transferred Intent. As a result, you will still be liable for the Intentional Tort of battery, even though you never intended to commit the battery.

As*sault" (#), n. [OE. asaut, assaut, OF. assaut, asalt, F. assaut, LL. assaltus; L. ad + saltus a leaping, a springing, salire to leap. See Assail.]

1.

A violent onset or attack with physical means, as blows, weapons, etc.; an onslaught; the rush or charge of an attacking force; onset; as, to make assault upon a man, a house, or a town.

The Spanish general prepared to renew the assault. Prescott.

Unshaken bears the assault Of their most dreaded foe, the strong southwest. Wordsworth.

2.

A violent onset or attack with moral weapons, as words, arguments, appeals, and the like; as, to make an assault on the prerogatives of a prince, or on the constitution of a government.

Clarendon.

3. Law

An apparently violent attempt, or willful offer with force or violence, to do hurt to another; an attempt or offer to beat another, accompanied by a degree of violence, but without touching his person, as by lifting the fist, or a cane, in a threatening manner, or by striking at him, and missing him. If the blow aimed takes effect, it is a battery.

Blackstone. Wharton.

Practically, however, the word assault is used to include the battery. Mozley & W.

Syn. -- Attack; invasion; incursion; descent; onset; onslaught; charge; storm.

 

© Webster 1913.


As*sault", v. t. [imp. & p. p. Assaulted; p. pr. & vb. n. Assaulting.] [From Assault, n.: cf. OF. assaulter, LL. assaltare.]

1.

To make an assault upon, as by a sudden rush of armed men; to attack with unlawful or insulting physical violence or menaces.

Insnared, assaulted, overcome, led bound. Milton.

2.

To attack with moral means, or with a view of producing moral effects; to attack by words, arguments, or unfriendly measures; to assail; as, to assault a reputation or an administration.

Before the gates, the cries of babes newborn, . . . Assault his ears. Dryden.

⇒ In the latter sense, assail is more common.

Syn. -- To attack; assail; invade; encounter; storm; charge. See Attack.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.