The male crotchal bulge, as shaped by modern trousers and underwear: the equivalent of female curves for the appreciative gaze of the discerning of both sexes, and an indication of the delights to be found within, also (sometimes) the contents thereof.

As with the outline of the female breast, the shape and size of the basket can be decieving: through unwise or perhaps modest choice of garments, the generously endowed may present a less-than-ample contour, while a burgeoning bulge may be merely the effect of uplift, cups or padding. Nonetheless, connoisseurship of the basket has a long history, reaching well back into the codpiece days, when a well-filled basket was as much a part of a man's good looks as a handsome face or well-turned leg. Alas, the substitution of trousers for breeches, and subsequent Victorian prudery put basket-watching in eclipse for the fair sex for many years. Nontheless, it is known that in the latter Victorian era, British noblewomen armed with opera glasses were known to congregate in groups to watch -- at a suitable remove -- athletes and young collegians at play (often under the pretext of inspecting horses, watching birds, and so forth) and openly commenting upon and discussing their subjects with keen interest. (I swear I'm not making this up.) However, this must be counted the exception that proves the case: most basket-watchers in the century past have been male. Even though this ban has been lifted since the 70's with the advent of the ever-popular male stripper, many women might feel reluctant to begin this gentle hobby, or feel it perverted or wrong. It's an unfounded fear, when you consider the example of the men who enjoy basket watching: many of them are gay, of course, but also quite a few straight men either unconsciously or consciously glance at the basket as part of a general size up of another man, independently of any attraction, and visual enjoyment of both sexes is one of the things that make us human. Here's a smallish guide for the novice who dares to brave public convention and boldly begin ogling.

Basket-watching is an oddly subtle art: reflexively, the first thing you do when you see someone, male or female, is to look up towards the face, not down, and often the object of your attraction will be at least slightly obscured by folds of fabric, untucked T-shirts, and so forth. Being seated in a place where men, and therefore their baskets, will be walking past makes the process easier, but is still problematic, since it cuts down on the time one gets to look at each one without obviously craning one's neck. Watching while walking therefore takes a little practise but is ultimately extremely rewarding, should you be so inclined: by walking down a moderately busy city sidewalk and simply directing one's gaze at a point somewhere between ten and fifteen feet in front of one's feet, one can often get a good long peek at any number of good subjects without them being the wiser. Soon, you'll get a feel for good times and locales for this kind of thing: obviously, the parts of the city where jeans are likely to be worn are better for good viewing than the bank section. Sometimes, you'll hardly see anything, even so. Relax and keep looking/walking: it's like fishing, sometimes you get a nibble, sometimes nothing, sometimes a strike. You'll be surprised at how many sizes you'll see, and shapes, and how many ways fellows fold their little friends to fit, left, right, center...also how sizes don't always correspond to the relative heights, weights or ages of their owners. You'll come to treasure the day you saw the one that bobbled, the one that wobbled, the one that seemed the thickness of a beer can, the (extremely rare) boi basket and the emphatically excited baton (!) that rose, pressing the owner's belly almost to his navel. You might wonder at what's on his mind, which leads to rather pleasant thoughts of your own, and at the very least, you'll have an agreeable pastime that makes city walking a little less boring.

Happy watching!

The basket is move common in folk dance circles and is at its most basic is a spin for four to eight people or two to four couples. There is an Irish form known as a Christmas.

Basics

  • In folk dancing, the 'formal' couple will stand with the woman on the man's right. (Informal being the other way around)
  • To approach a basket, the man will have his right hand around the woman's waist and the woman will have her left hand on his right shoulder.
  • Basket weaving involves two to four couples. As they meet, the women put their right hands on the other man's left shoulder and the men put their left hand around the other woman's waist, grasping the other man's wrists fairly firmly.
  • All couples put their right foot into the centre and scoot round on their left foot in a clockwise direction.

What often happens is a bit more organic. There is a bit of a bundle with womens' arms flung around mens' necks and men frantically trying to get a good grip of each others' arms before proceeding. As the couples begin to rotate the women lean forward and the men lean back, and if the group are coordinated, strong and spinning fast enough, the women's feet will leave the ground (usually accompanied by much squealing and laughter).


WARNING

A basket is not the move for a complete novice to try unless they have experienced one being performed, and definitely not a move for the faint-hearted.

  • Baskets can end in a scrum as everyone falls over everyone else and lands in an untidy giggling, bruised heap on the floor.
  • Shoes can fly off and beome lethal long range missiles.
  • The womens' legs form a brutal blugeoning whirling wheel of death as they fly outwards, flooring any other dancers foolhardy enough to get too close.
  • This move MUST be performed in an open space as once off the ground the spin covers a large area and anything in the way will be collided with, including walls, furniture and people.

Baskets are not always dealers of death, more restrained women will attempt to throttle the men during the spin to inhibit their speed and concentration. Legs may be used to trip up the men in order to prevent take-off. The men may just amble around and fail to achieve the correct velocity for uplift to take place. (Often connected with imbibing too much alcohol beforehand). Playford dance troupes, dancing traditional dances from the 17th century onwards, would never dream of their feet leaving the floor as it wouldn't be right and proper, so do check which style of basket you're in before taking off as results could be embarressing at best! When attempting baskets for the first time, spend the first few figures getting used to how it feels before going for lift off in the finale.

Once mastered the basket is an excellent, exhilarating and exciting move which will impress those around you with minimal distress to anyone involved. However, do proceed with caution!

Bas"ket (?), n. [Of unknown origin. The modern Celtic words seem to be from the English.]

1.

A vessel made of osiers or other twigs, cane, rushes, splints, or other flexible material, interwoven.

"Rude baskets . . . woven of the flexile willow."

Dyer.

2.

The contents of a basket; as much as a basket contains; as, a basket of peaches.

3. Arch.

The bell or vase of the Corinthian capital.

[Improperly so used.]

Gwilt.

4.

The two back seats facing one another on the outside of a stagecoach.

[Eng.]

Goldsmith.

Basket fish Zool., an ophiuran of the genus Astrophyton, having the arms much branched. See Astrophyton. -- Basket hilt, a hilt with a covering wrought like basketwork to protect the hand. Hudibras. Hence, Baskethilted, a. -- Basket work, work consisting of plaited osiers or twigs. -- Basket worm Zool., a lepidopterous insect of the genus Thyridopteryx and allied genera, esp. T. ephemeraeformis. The larva makes and carries about a bag or basket-like case of silk and twigs, which it afterwards hangs up to shelter the pupa and wingless adult females.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bas"ket, v. t.

To put into a basket.

[R.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.