Weather-worn sticker on a lamp post:

Blasphemy
is a
blast for you!

Not sure what it means, except a silly pun, encouraging the rampant reversal or overturning of religious and social sacred cows. (Ideological cowtipping!) Or who knows, maybe it's just a band name. Or someone who encourages puns.

Blasphemy, slander or even well merited blame, applied to a person or in condemnation of a thing.

The word is particularly applied to any profane language toward God; blasphemy against the Holy Ghost means the sin of attributing to Satanic agency the miracles which were obviously from God.


Entry from Everybody's Cyclopedia, 1912.

Blas"phe*my (?), n. [L. blasphemia, Gr. : cf. OF. blasphemie.]

1.

An indignity offered to God in words, writing, or signs; impiously irreverent words or signs addressed to, or used in reference to, God; speaking evil of God; also, the act of claiming the attributes or prerogatives of deity.

⇒ When used generally in statutes or at common law, blasphemy is the use of irreverent words or signs in reference to the Supreme Being in such a way as to produce scandal or provoke violence.

2.

Figuratively, of things held in high honor: Calumny; abuse; vilification.

Punished for his blasphemy against learning. Bacon.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.