Competition exists when there is an awareness of comparison between two or more individuals or groups attempting the same thing, be it running a race, playing the zither, or selling the most widgets.

Some find competition frustrating and believe that it applies too much pressure to succeed. For competition to be enjoyed, all parties involved must undertake it with something akin to the Olympic spirit. Win or lose, it is the doing of the thing that counts. If you don't run, there is no way you can win, or improve your speed, your form, etc.

Of course, if you don't win one now and then, curse loudly and go compete in a different arena.

Com`pe*ti"tion (?), n. [L. competitio. See Conpete.]

The act of seeking, or endevearing to gain, what another is endeavoring to gain at the same time; common strife for the same objects; strife for superiority; emulous contest; rivalry, as for approbation, for a prize, or as where two or more persons are engaged in the same business and each seeking patronage; -- followed by for before the object sought, and with before the person or thing competed with.

Competition to the crown there is none, nor can be. Bacon.

A portrait, with which one of Titian's could not come in competititon. Dryden.

There is no competition but for the second place. Dryden.

Where competition does not act at all there is complete monopoly. A. T. Hadley.

Syn. -- Emulation; rivalry; rivalship; contest; struggle; contention; opposition; jealousy. See Emulation.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.