Late winter lake.
Still frozen, but not dead.
It shudders, just below the surface.

Eerie, high pitched noises echo across the ice.
A sound similar to a hammer applied to sheet metal.

As I make my away from the shore- Each step leads to a crack and a groan,
Each groan sends out hundreds more.

They are ghosts of what was- Remnants of autumn waves; summer white caps.

I have heard the whispers for months.
Subzero voices in the near dark,
Murmured to bare trees and heavy clouds.

Fissures small at first, have lengthened-
As days have grown longer.

Each evening I walk further, past petrified buoys.
Listening- hoping to understand the language. Venturing out, but able to make it back to solid ground.

At some point I expect I will stroll
too late.
Or too far.

Fis"sure (?), n. [L. fissura, fr. findere, fissum, to cleave, split; akin to E. bite: cf. F. fissure.]

A narrow opening, made by the parting of any substance; a cleft; as, the fissure of a rock.

Cerebral fissures Anat., the furrows or clefts by which the surface of the cerebrum is divided; esp., the furrows first formed by the infolding of the whole wall of the cerebrum. -- Fissure needle Surg., a spiral needle for catching together the gaping lips of wounds. Knight. -- Fissure of rolando Anat., the furrow separating the frontal from the parietal lobe in the cerebrum. -- Fissure of Sylvius Anat., a deep cerebral fissure separating the frontal from the temporal lobe. See Illust. under Brain. -- Fissure vein Mining, a crack in the earth's surface filled with mineral matter. Raymond.

 

© Webster 1913.


Fis"sure (?), v. t.

To cleave; to divide; to crack or fracture.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.