Industrialisation occurs when the factory replaces the workshop and cottage as the unit of production. The prosperity of nations rests less on the land and its produce and increasingly on manufactured goods and trade. Automation irrevocably changes the pattern of life for millions of poeple, as they move to the cities to work in factory lines. Artisans become more-or-less obsolete as goods are mass-produced and standardised.

An industrial revolution takes place when capital becomes available for investment in manufacturing industries to either private (usually middle-class) or government enterprise. After Britain became industrialised other nations found that they could not compete with the immense amount of trade she generated and so also built factories to keep up. There was no shortage of workers, as there were millions of peasants who sought a better standard of living.

There are both advantages and disadvantages to industrialisation. On one side, production is improved dramatically, as is the level of trade. Transportation becomes much faster and convenient, and inventions make communication methods more economical and practical. Advances in public health and medicine, progress in science and technology and the coming of universal education all combine to make a new sort of society. At the other end of the spectrum, poor working conditions may cause dissatisfaction and unrest, though this is usually negated over time.
A Civilization advance.
Industrialization involves the use of machines to dramatically increase productivity. Production of goods became concentrates in factories, reducing labor costs and concomitantly lowering prices. Industrialization revolutionized living standards, but not always for the better. The new worker class often suffered a grinding, subservient existence.
Prerequisites: Banking and Railroad.
Allows for: The Corporation, Communism. and Steel.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.