A fruit acid that is also synthesized as the result of processing citric acid. It assists in the breaking down of sugars, glycolysis. There is evidence to suggest that malic acid may be of benefit to those suffering CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) or Fibromyalgia. It also appears to help atheletes in that it is critical for both aerobic and anaerobic energy production.

Malic Acid (C4H6O5), is provided as white or nearly white, fine crystalline granules. It is manufactured by hydration of Maleic Anhydride at elevated temperatures and pressure. It can be ordered in the same container with Fumaric acid, FCC grade, if desired. Inquire if other mesh sizes are desired. Malic Acid has a number of properties that prove beneficial and outperform citric acid in a number of applications: lower melt point (130°C vs citric acid’s 153°C), higher solubility of calcium salts (results in clear solutions), longer shelf life due to non-caking (non-hygroscopic). Greater economy due to longer taste retention, and synergy with artificial sweeteners (due to long taste retention that masks bitter aftertaste of many artificial sweeteners) are also reasons Malic acid is utilized.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.