Mild is a kind of beer here in the UK - the opposite of bitter. For many years, the story ran that mild was made from the drips of other beers. Despite this, it had its afficionados. Now, so they say, mild has been fixed, but will never be the same again. The drip story is now told of IPA instead.

MILD is a major lucid dreaming technique developed by Dr. Stephen LaBerge for his dissertation. He was eventually able to attain approximately five lucid dreams per night through consistant use of this technique. MILD is short for Mneumonic Induced Lucid Dream, and works by setting a strong intention before falling asleep, so that when you fall asleep, the last thing on your mind is the intention to have a lucid dream. It also helps to have a nonlucid dream, remember it, and then as you fall asleep, picture yourself becoming lucid in that dream, by means of recognizing a dreamsign.

Here's what you do:

  1. Set up Dream Recall.
  2. Before going to sleep, set up your intention to remember the dreams you have throughout the night.
  3. Recall your dream
  4. When you awaken from your dream, regardless of the time (unless you're late for your own wedding), lie completely still and recall as much of your dream(s) as you can. Try occasionally changing position - it may facilitate dream recall to be in the same position you were in when you originally had the dream.
  5. Focus your intent
  6. This is the core of the technique. Focus solely, exclusively, singlemindedly on your intention to have a lucid dream. Repeat to yourself over and over again: "Next time I'm dreaming, I will remember to recognize that I'm dreaming." Say it like you mean it. Let go of any other thoughts and focus solely on this.
  7. See yourself becoming lucid
  8. At the same time you focus your intention, visualize yourself in the dream you just had. This time, however, you want to see yourself realizing you're in a dream. Look at a dreamsign (something that could only happen in a dream, that would signify that you're dreaming) that was prominently featured in your dream, and see yourself saying, "This is a dream." Then continue with the dream. For example, say once you become lucid, you decide to go flying, or to have some fun with Cindy Crawford. Imagine yourself doing so immediately after you gain lucidity.
  9. Repeat as often as desired
  10. Repeat steps 3-4 until your intention is solid, and then let yourself fall asleep. If you find yourself thinking about anything other than lucidity while falling asleep, let that thought go, and return to setting your intention so the last thing on your mind when you fall asleep is lucidity.

If all goes well, you will remember your intention and have a lucid dream. Unlike with WILD, it's better if it takes you a long time to fall asleep, because the longer you are awake and hence reinforcing your intention, the more likely you are to have a lucid dream.

It can also help if you do reality checks throughout the day - that is, question reality and ask yourself if you're dreaming. So you're not dreaming, are you? Prove it! Try to levitate, or push your hand through a solid object. If you do this often enough, the behavior will carry over into your dreams, where the result is almost inevitable.

As with anything else, MILD takes practice. You may or may not have success at first - it may take a few nights of trying before you get any results. But if you stick with it, you may find yourself having success equivalent to that of Stephen Laberge - triggering many lucid dreams every night at will.

Good luck, and happy dreaming!


Sources:
Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming, Dr. Stephen LaBerge, Ph.D.

Mild (?), a. [Compar. Milder (?); superl. Mildest.] [AS. milde; akin to OS. mildi, D. & G. mild, OHG. milti, Icel. mildr, Sw. & Dan. mild, Goth. milds; cf. Lith. melas dear, Gr. gladdening gifts.]

Gentle; pleasant; kind; soft; bland; clement; hence, moderate in degree or quality; -- the opposite of harsh, severe, irritating, violent, disagreeable, etc.; -- applied to persons and things; as, a mild disposition; a mild eye; a mild air; a mild medicine; a mild insanity.

The rosy morn resigns her light
And milder glory to the noon.
Waller.

Adore him as a mild and merciful Being.
Rogers.

Mild, or Low, steel, steel that has but little carbon in it and is not readily hardened.

Syn. -- Soft; gentle; bland; calm; tranquil; soothing; pleasant; placid; meek; kind; tender; indulgent; clement; mollifying; lenitive; assuasive. See Gentle.

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.