TASK FORCE::XP

What is this? "This" is a group that has been created with the express and exclusive task of creating a viable, functional proposal for the reform of the level, experience, and voting system. Much talk has been made about each one of these things by itself but all of them are cardinal components of a single system of incentives and, being strongly linked to each other, must be reformed together or not be reformed at all. It is the management's view that XP and level rewards, and the privileges associated with them, should be viewed as a form of social currency, which should not be subjected to haphazard or hasty changes or used in ways not consistent with this role.

Our mission is to a) examine the rationale behind having a level/xp/voting system and how it currently works, b) discuss the benefits and drawbacks of the system in all its incarnations, c) put forward suggestions for improvement and debate them point by point until an agreement is reached, and d) formulate a proposal that is fair to all users and technically feasible. The management, this being dann, shall not be bound to accept this proposal but we expect to make him an offer he can't refuse based on the fact that we shall have taken every idea, however wild and far-fetched, into consideration without prejudice.

Who is "we?" A group of users selected by us. They were picked based on the simple fact that we know them to be active on the site, interested in the system, completely unafraid of offending the administration, and willing to contribute time and effort. Further, these users are of a varied background and hold diverse and often divergent views on what the level/XP/voting system does and should do. The intention is to have a small group that is nonetheless capable of representing most views held by the noding public. As you may notice, the staff are in a minority in this group. This is intentional. The views of the non-staff majority are those that count most in this case.

This group purposely has few members. It would be great if everyone with an opinion could participate directly but this way is best. Any more members and we run a real risk of turning into Yet Another Ineffectual Committee. Any fewer, though, and we reduce the diversity of opinion too much. We're also keenly aware of the potential for undesirable effects of group dynamics and expect to be able to avoid them.

Should you have ideas that you believe are important and need to be discussed, don't be shy. Any user with specific ideas and proposals may talk to a group member. However, we can almost guarantee that at least one group member will bring up the point that you want to make so don't be surprised if we've already covered your topic.

Venerable members of this group:

Laz, alex, Oolong@+, libertas, dichotomyboi, passport, in10se, Professor Pi, RainDropUp, mauler@+
This group of 10 members is led by Laz