Zest is the name for the rinds of citrus fruits that is used to add a lot of flavor to lots of things like cakes and breads. Only use the outer colorful part because the white part inside is bitter and nasty. What you do is to grate the outer part using a hand grater or a food processor and whatever you're cooking will taste like that food. You can buy zest in jars at the supermarket but by that time the zest will have lost its flavor. However you can keep zest in a Ziploc bag and put it in the freezer and it will last a long time.

Zest (?), n. [F. zeste, probably fr. L. schistos split, cleft, divided, Gr. , from to split, cleave. Cf. Schism.]

1.

A piece of orange or lemon peel, or the aromatic oil which may be squeezed from such peel, used to give flavor to liquor, etc.

2.

Hence, something that gives or enhances a pleasant taste, or the taste itself; an appetizer; also, keen enjoyment; relish; gusto.

Almighty Vanity! to thee they owe Their zest of pleasure, and their balm of woe. Young.

Liberality of disposition and conduct gives the highest zest and relish to social intercourse. Gogan.

3.

The woody, thick skin inclosing the kernel of a walnut.

[Obs.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Zest, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Zested; p. pr. & vb. n. Zesting.]

1.

To cut into thin slips, as the peel of an orange, lemon, etc.; to squeeze, as peel, over the surface of anything.

2.

To give a relish or flavor to; to heighten the taste or relish of; as, to zest wine.

Gibber.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.