1. What is your name?

My name is Mary

2. Tell us something about you, your background, and what you've been up to lately?

I'm from Chicago and now live in southwest Florida. I've lived roughly half my life in Chicago and half in Florida, in Naples, Delray Beach, and Lake Worth. I have worked in more than one library, and am about to start work in another. I'm what you would call a 'night owl.' My day-to-day 'uniform' primarily consists of dark heather grey tees, cutoffs, and moto boots. I'm a lefty in every sense of the word. I have an ornery orange and white cat named Freddie Parker. I'm five feet, two inches tall. I've been vegan for almost fifteen years, more than half of my life. I like to sand and refinish furniture, and learn how to work on cars. Right now, I'm finishing up a Bachelor's degree. 

3. How did you discover Everything, and how did you become a noder?

I actually have no memory of how I got here, or when. I do remember that I lurked fervently before joining, for months. I suppose I googled something and somehow ended up at the site. Those details are all very hazy at this point. But I do remember thinking it seemed very important, and I took things very seriously when I joined. 

I went through Everything University and the FAQ. I pored over Read Me First: Getting Started on E2 and E2 Quick Start. I read Your first writeup will be nuked: don't give up. I read The perfect node. Then E2 clueless (newbie) mistakes to avoid. Yes, I was stalling. But I also really wanted to get it right, so I went over all the information I could find until I was sort of satisfied that I understood what to do. I solemnly covenanted. (Eventually that went by the wayside, but I think I held out pretty long). I vowed to earn my bullshit and node for the ages. Then, I got started. 

4. What are your favorite writeups -- both your own and from other noders?

My favorite writeup of mine is probably Vivien Leigh or Liz Phair. My favorite writeup has got to be a tie between I would like to step out of my heart and go walking beneath the enormous sky by IWhoSawTheFace and Fifteen Minutes 'til Kyrie by Bitriot. I love Her presumptive green lipstick shown across the room, Doreen, Why the Willow Weeps, Alexander the Great and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good Very Bad Day, strip club by avalyn, He dreamt he was a bulldozer, she dreamt she was alone in an empty bed, Steady these hands these hands steady these hands, and The right way to take a bath by dustfromamoth. I still think In Da Club is pretty great. There are so many more, I could probably go on for days...

5. What are your favorite and least favorite memories from E2's history?

Honestly, I've never really been that involved in that aspect of E2, so those kinds of big moments never really personally affected me. Back in the day, the idea of catboxing terrified me, and as a result, I don't know a lot about any behind-the-scenes stuff.

Oh, wait. I didn't like the changeover from XP to GP (I still don't know what to do with GP other than spin myself silly over at the Wheel of Surprise) and I did NOT like having writeup bonus taken away. /me misses writeup bonus!  

6. What keeps you coming back (or not coming back, as the case may be)?

That's a hard question to answer. I suppose I'm always curious to see what's next. I was gone for a few years, and came back, which was not something I ever thought I would do; it was totally unplanned. But I really want to see where this place will go, and I plan to stick around to find out. 

7. What do you hope for E2's future?

I want it to rebrand and modernize while still retaining the uniqueness that attracted a weirdo like me in the first place. I would like to see the interface get an overhaul. I would like to see changes to the GP, level and voting system. I'd like to see more new noders, and a larger audience. And frankly, I think a lot of older one-sentence type nodes need weeding, which I would be more than happy to help with. 

8. What does E2 mean to you?

It's the only online community I've ever joined and participated in, and the only one I've ever needed. I love this place. I will admit that, at times, certain aspects frustrate the fuck out of me. I guess E2 is kind of like family to me at this point. You might not love them all the time, but they're a permanent part of your life. 

9. Who are your favorite noders? Which ones do you miss the most?

Far too many to name, but definitely Bitriot, etouffee, IWhoSawTheFace, Glowing Fish and RedOmega. Again, I could go on for days...

10. Who would play you in the Everything2 movie?

Can we see if Natalie Portman is available? If not, Alison Brie

11. Please fill in the blank: "E2 is to the Internet as ___ is to the world."

I have a slightly different analogy in mind. If Wikipedia is Beyonce, everything2 is Solange Knowles, Beyonce's sister, also a musician. Hear me out. Beyonce is the superstar everybody knows, while Solange is a bit older, cooler, and quirkier, but not as well-known. 

12. Any questions that I didn't ask that I should've?

Have you ever dated or married someone you met on e2? (There seem to be so many of them, I always wonder how many e2 couples there are/were. Yeah, I'm nosy.)

Everything2 Decaversary Interviews

If you have questions or comments, please contact mad girl's love song or Jet-Poop.