My own list of five entries for Lost Gems of Yesteryear: Odyssey Two is now full. I wasn’t sure I would participate in a quest whose genesis was partly to suggest things for me to read, but then I found various write-ups that intrigued me in the course of hacking around the site, so I wanted to share:

  • Frequentative by Tem42, after Tem42 used the term in the catbox during a discussion of snuggle (purpose, uses, intent, and so on). Specifically it seems that 'a' snuggle is, commonly, a repeated action rather than a single act, and frequentative is the grammatical term that applies. I did not know that.
  • Manawatu waking by Demeter. Again with due credit to Tem42 who called out a lack of poetry in the quest nominated write-ups, although we have several since. Demeter was a valued colleague and sounding board back when I was Editor-in-chief of e2, and I am saddened to learn that she passed away. Demeter's collection of work here is worthy of your reading time.
  • Photograph of a Lady, Circa 1890 by Lucy-S, another poem, simply because I very much enjoy the imagery there.
  • On Blackness. I went looking for an essay to nominate. This one struck me as exactly the sort of personal experience narrative that fits e2 well. Also the pipe links led to other good content, and I do so love to find well-deployed pipe links.
  • I enjoyed both entries of Two stories about Mia which would be four, but Tem42 (again!) already nominated one of Zephronias' Stories about Mia so I specifically cite Bitroit's story/stories there for the purposes of the quest.

If you haven't yet noticed Brevity Quest 2016, please do so. I expect to add some BQ16 writeups once the e2 server decides that it's July, and I hope that you'll all do the same.